5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear Tires

bugster347r

Reaction score
I have a question about rear tire wear. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic with P275/60R20 tires. my question is why is the right rear wearing so much more than the left rear? any help would be appreciated.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1) Driveshaft torsion tends to lift the right wheel when accelerating.
2) In left-hand-drive countries, right turns are sharper than left turns, and scrub more rubber off the inside tire.
3) Some people tend to drive on the shoulder of the road. If you're one of those, the side on the shoulder will encounter a lot more abrasive gravel, trash, etc.

These are all usually minor effects that wouldn't be noticed, but if you're doing all of them, the cumulative effect might be significant.

bugster347r

Reaction score
Thank you Rick3478
i don't drive on the shoulder but the driveshaft torsion lift makes sense.

Burnzie

Reaction score
Too many smoky burnouts on right hand corners?

I can't be the only one thinking this, but I guess I'm the only one with balls enuff to say it.

Oldphart

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue also with a 2021 Lonestar: Stock Bridgestones 275/55-20's, 30,000 miles. Right rear has virtually no tread left. Left rear probably 25% remaining. Both fronts are at 50% or more. Thinking of replacing both rears with a different tire as these are absolutely horrible in the wet.

smonska

Reaction score
I've had a dozen trucks and RWD cars, my '19 Ram 1500 is the first which wears rear tires faster than fronts during normal driving (doing burnouts in my muscle cars obviously excluded). Caught me totally off guard doing my first tire rotation.

Last edited:

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is this your first anti-spin differential? It's stressing the rubber every time you make a turn.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
One wheel peel aka one tire fire. Even with limited slip the passenger side rear takes a beating, the rotation of the drive shaft wants to send power that direction. I'd watch My Cousin Vinny for the best explanation

Users who are viewing this thread