5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rear stock springs ORP firm enough?

JBV

Reaction score
when my truck eventually arrives my long box crew cab will get a canopy (which is already waiting at the cap store) and a 4 bike carrier.
i'm just wondering how you guys feel about the stock springs and are they decently firm, or mushy? i have no plans to lift or mod the suspension unless it's inadequate and from what i've read, Ram has done a good job with stock ORP suspension for mild trail/off roading. in my current truck i've had custom leaf springs and of course many guys add a leaf if needed. wondering how soft springs/sagging springs are dealt with on a coil sprung rear end.

LeeVanCleef

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat.

I have a crew cab long bed with the ORP and I'll be adding a topper this Friday and eventually some sort of bike storage/camping setup inside. With no load, I think the ORP suspension looks great and is more firm than the stock 2016 suspension I came from. However, I do anticipate having to add a spacer or stiffer/longer springs to maintain the factory rear height after adding 250-300 of constant load.
20210627_145438.jpg

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
when my truck eventually arrives my long box crew cab will get a canopy (which is already waiting at the cap store) and a 4 bike carrier.
i'm just wondering how you guys feel about the stock springs and are they decently firm, or mushy? i have no plans to lift or mod the suspension unless it's inadequate and from what i've read, Ram has done a good job with stock ORP suspension for mild trail/off roading. in my current truck i've had custom leaf springs and of course many guys add a leaf if needed. wondering how soft springs/sagging springs are dealt with on a coil sprung rear end.
Given that some of us have trucks with factory options that add another 500 lb, I’m thinking there’s ample capacity.

But I have the ORG with air suspension, so what do I know? :)

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
To preface, I have a 1" spacer in the rear to keep some rake with the front Bils at 2" with a Leer shell. I put two 120qt coolers with ice and food, camping gear for 4, an 85lb dog, and it drops the rear about 1.5" so around .5" nose high.

JBV

Reaction score
well it sounds like it's pretty good stock. i hadn't heard any complaints but curious. my Frontier (which will be sold as soon as the Ram arrives) short box was very soft stock. basically needed a leaf or new spring pack almost right away. i'm so stoked for this truck. about a month now sitting in D status. i'll give it another couple weeks and i'll start pushing buttons at the dealership.

sheepdogtrail

Reaction score
I am currently carting around 150 gallons of water a few times per day in the back of my truck that came with the ORG Hitachie's. That is a little over 1251 lbs. My truck squats about 3" in the back with that load. I feel that I am in control of the truck under those conditions. With the factory Falken Tires at 6 ply, I felt it was unsafe. To much wave riding in truck by the suspension after hitting bumps in the road. I replaced those tires with a 10 ply tire and it made a huge difference in ride quality. Enough so that it feels safe to drive. I will be adding Timber Grove air bags in the next week or so to prevent so much squat.

I would say use what you got and if you need to change something start with the ground and work up on replacing/improving the ride quality. For me 10 ply tires made a huge difference. You will still get some squat, but it might feel that you can better manage it with new tires.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
^^^^^ Oh yeah, I to have E load 10 plys. Should have mentioned that in my first post.

JBV

Reaction score
what are the stock Falken's? i thought they were LT tires ?

Users who are viewing this thread