5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear Squat With Nissans Towing

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ever since I got a travel trailer, I've paid more attention to other people's setup as they go by on the highway or I see them in parking lots/gas stations/etc... I have noticed that a good 90% or more of the Nissans (and Infinitis) I see towing any sort of camper or cargo trailer look like the rear of the vehicle is sitting on the bump stops--severely squatting.

It's only occasionally that I've seen it with any other brand.

Is it something about the vehicles themselves or is it that this particular set of drivers just doesn't set things up properly?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not sure about Nissan as a whole however the number of ***-dragging Armadas, Sequoias, Ferd and GM SUV's towing double axle TT's with or w/o WDH's doesn't surprise me. It's all about peeps "making do with what they've got" for the (hopefully few) times they tow. Not that it is desirable but many can't or won't get a proper towing rig for the 5-10% of the time when they need one. Same thing with 1500 vs 2500 etc.

When Googling "Nissan Armada towing" I saw these Reddit responses:
"I have 2018 CPO Armada so feel free to ask any further questions. Overall I love the vehicle. It's super comfortable inside for all passengers - since it's body on frame real SUV it absorbs road noise and vibrations. It's super fun to drive through mountain ranges when not towing. I get about 15mpg over when not towing and anywhere from 5 to 10 when towing depending on terrain and speed. I ended up getting way bigger trailer (almost 7000 dry) since I didn't do enough research and realize I needed at least 3/4 ton truck but with your smaller trailer you should be fine - just do the payload numbers like others have said. I still manage to keep within limits but can only hold 500 lbs of passengers. "

and

"...The armada is essentially the titan with an SUV body. I think it might have rear independent suspension rather than a solid axle, but the rest of the drivetrain is truck-worthy. I think youll be real happy with that."

silver billet

Reaction score
I've seen every brand sag, the ones that aren't sagging while towing significant loads are running bags or other suspension helpers.

Nothing wrong with a bit of squat though, provided the setup is balanced correctly with a WDH of course.

azzx

Reaction score
I seen a new escape pulling a 8x16 cargo trailer, and an explorer pulling a 23' TT, both last week. People do stupid crap all the time.
Agreed -- too many d...f....s towing stuff beyond the capabilities/ratings of their vehicles and traveling downhill @ 80+ mph.
During summer, coming down from Mogellan Rim in AZ (many steep downhills) the road is scared by roasted trucks/trailers.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Agreed -- too many d...f....s towing stuff beyond the capabilities/ratings of their vehicles and traveling downhill @ 80+ mph.
During summer, coming down from Mogellan Rim in AZ (many steep downhills) the road is scared by roasted trucks/trailers.
I know that road, some strong curves and downgrades. They will toast the crappy trailer drum brakes quick, as if any of them are properly adjusted anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread