5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear spring/spacer block install without a lift?

jeffrey5679

Reaction score
Anyone know of any videos showing how to install a rear spacer or swap to ORP springs? Can this be done without a lift with a jack? I installed bilstein 5100s and want to add a little rake to the back. I currently have stock non ORP springs

Last edited:

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you go to the 8:47 mark on this video it walks you through installing rear spring spacers. This specific video is for the mopar 2" lift but gives you a good idea of what to expect.

jeffrey5679

Reaction score
If you go to the 8:47 mark on this video it walks you through installing rear spring spacers. This specific video is for the mopar 2" lift but gives you a good idea of what to expect.

Thanks! Anyone do this without a lift?

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Thanks! Anyone do this without a lift?
What do you mean without “a lift”? You don’t need a lift to swap your rear coil springs. You may need to compress the springs if your jack didnt have enough reach or the springs were a little too long.

jeffrey5679

Reaction score
Every install video I’ve seen drops the rear axle. Can you just lift the truck on jack stands, compress the springs and pull them out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Every install video I’ve seen drops the rear axle. Can you just lift the truck on jack stands, compress the springs and pull them out?

You want to remove the tension from the spring so you can lift from say the diff pumpkin but you want to support the weight of the truck by the frame to ease up on the weight pushing down on the spring. Way easier to take the spring out if you can support the weight from the frame as the axel can droop freely. 2 floor jacks will make the job a breeze, but you can do it with one and some jack stands. I have 4 floor jacks but the ones i use for my high clearance vehicles are from HF one is 3 ton standard, the other is a 2 ton low profile/hi lift (23 3/4"), the last gives me more than enough droop in my axel to take out factory springs without compressing them. (take your wheel off), with long springs i still have to compress them to make the job easier. and that's even disconnecting the rear trackbar.
Hopefully this gives you an idea
Untitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

jeffrey5679

Reaction score
Anyone know if I’ll need another alignment for the front after lifting the rear a bit? Also, should I go rear spacer or rear orp springs route? I’m currently leveled with bilstein 5100’s position 5.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only going to gain 1" from the ORP springs so if you want more lift than that you will have to do spacers. If your only looking for 1" then I would say just go the cheapest route which would prob be spacers. Just my .02

Also in the video I posted earlier in this thread the mechanic says something about the spring rate being different on each side, don't know how true this is but something to think about if you go the spring route.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread