5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear spacers vs springs

Marintropical

Reaction score
Hello, need your help
I m installing Bilstein 5100 for the rear but I want to go over 1" higher in the back, should I buy the coil springs already designed for the Xtra inch or should I just put spacers? My issue is when I'm pulling my boat ( around 6000) it seats to much in the back making it very unlevel, I have leveled the front with Bilstein 6112 ( works great, very smooth) so I'm afraid putting spacers in the back and pulling my boat will kill the stock springs..... thoughts please...need your advice.....thanks in advance

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t haul much. But I bought helper bags. I have had around 2k in my bed of wood pellets and with the helper bags at 20 psi it only dropped about 1inch. I have stock springs and rear 2inch spacers.

I’m assuming you hauling your boat is seasonal? Bags might be your better option. Then spring. I feel bags will help maintain smoother daily ride. And only stiffen it up when needed.

Marintropical

Reaction score
Thanks really appreciate it, I live in Florida so pretty much all year but not every weekend maybe 4 times a month....can you please help me with brand etc or link where I can get them if it is not too much asking...I have 2022 ram 4x4 1500 Laramie GT....Thanks Chief

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another option many have used on 4th gens, see if available for 5th gen? They give a lift and better towing, but still stay within towing capacity.

I'd suggest dual rate coils also.

Tuftruck Coils

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depending on what truck you have you could get ORG springs if you don't already have them. That's an extra inch of lift. Or you can get Sumo Springs bump stops if you don't want to go the airbag route.

I have Timber Grove airbags with a wireless compressor. They work great.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I keep them at 5 (minimum) when unloaded. When loaded I've towed 10k level and hauled 2k level without issue other than being over weight. They lifted the back of the truck about 1/2" after installation.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have used motofab spacers 1 inch, and 1.5 inch.
work great, same shocks, same ride, inexpensive.
Perfect for me.

Edit:

Also, since you leveled the front, you need more than 1 inch higher IMO.
You need rake and or bags for 6000 lbs.
Could do OFG / Rebel springs and 1 inch spacers. I guess if you like the leveled look,
Bags would be required.

Last edited:

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Marintropical

Reaction score
Thank you so much Team very helpful!! this is good information, I need to decide between Bilstein 5100 with org springs for the Xtra 1 inch in the back or the air springs .....

Marintropical

Reaction score
Hello, first thanks all for your help,
I installed in the rear Airlift bags 84293 (Ultimate) with wireless compressor, Bilstein 5100 with 1" motofab spacers and absolutely love it, in the front I have Bilstein 6112- 2" high on Ridge Grappler 285/55 22 and the ride is super smooth extremely happy.......thanks again Team

Users who are viewing this thread