5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear sensors dirty

technicholas

Reaction score
Has anyone else seen this before? I was backing up the pickup was covered in snow and the rear also - the back sensors were dirty from sand/snow the pickup kept breaking itself when backing out of the driveway was quite annoying I put it in drive then it disabled it and said they were dirty. I was trying to back out of my driveway and not get hit by any other cars around me.

2019Ram64

Reaction score
I’ve gotten that on my truck as well without your circumstance. I disabled the auto park feature on the radio to stop it from doing that.

Member of the Gas Monkey Garage crew.
Nyinstaller2 on IG

Pringles can

Reaction score
Has anyone else seen this before? I was backing up the pickup was covered in snow and the rear also - the back sensors were dirty from sand/snow the pickup kept breaking itself when backing out of the driveway was quite annoying I put it in drive then it disabled it and said they were dirty. I was trying to back out of my driveway and not get hit by any other cars around me.
Go on you tube and you will.see many people have this issue and it's even recorded to prove it. There was absolutely nothing around the truck and it locked the brakes up. It's a great looking truck but too many bugs.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, gotta clean them every now and then. Same on our Expedition and other trucks I have had. On the Ram it can be more annoying obviously as you stated due to the brake assist, the other vehicles didn’t have the brake assist but would just beep constantly when in reverse until they were wiped off.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anybody actually rely on auto-braking?

It's a ridiculous feature marketed to Mommies to instill a false sense of additional safety.

The first few times this happened in my Durango, I turn them all off in Uconnect.

Ditto for the forward collision auto-braking.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

It's a ridiculous feature marketed to Mommies to instill a false sense of additional safety.

The first few times this happened in my Durango, I turn them all off in Uconnect.

I don’t think anyone “relies on” safety features exclusively. But one slip-up due to an unexpected distraction (which can happen to the best of us) and you might think differently about the “ridiculousness” of these features.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone “relies on” safety features exclusively. But one slip-up due to an unexpected distraction (which can happen to the best of us) and you might think differently about the “ridiculousness” of these features.

We can debate if you like, because I just don't see it.

If the lights, chimes, and cameras don't sufficiently alert a driver... I'd question if you're paying enough attention.

I also tend to believe the implementation of this technology in mainstream brands isn't developed and fine-tuned to the level of truly being an additional safety device.

My forward collision auto-braking will yank on the brakes for cars that are in adjacent lanes that are slowing to make a turn. In other words, brakes are heavily applied when there is no need. In the heavy traffic in my area, unnecessary abrupt braking is a liability, not an asset, and sets you up for a rear-ender. It doesn't need to operate like that, but it was tacked on, without adequate development, so a checkbox can be filled when Mommies are shopping for a new car.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If the lights, chimes, and cameras don't sufficiently alert a driver... I'd question if you're paying enough attention.
That’s my point, more or less. Maybe your fellow drivers are exceptional, but I observe many multitasking drivers here in DFW where the act of driving isn’t #1 on their task lists.

Kamikaze6780

Reaction score

Actually it's a safety feature for when backing up there could be a child behind your truck that you can't see or one that runs directly behind your truck without notice, in this case the computer is faster than your foot in terms of breaking to prevent running over a child or stroller with a baby in it or anyone for that matter

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s my point, more or less. Maybe your fellow drivers are exceptional, but I observe many multitasking drivers here in DFW where the act of driving isn’t #1 on their task lists.

Oh. LOL. If we're talking about auto-braking being in someone else's car... YES... you got me there.

Actually it's a safety feature for when backing up there could be a child behind your truck that you can't see or one that runs directly behind your truck without notice, in this case the computer is faster than your foot in terms of breaking to prevent running over a child or stroller with a baby in it or anyone for that matter

I can't recall where I got the notion, but I'm under the impression rear cameras will be mandated soon, if they are not already. And that should be all you need to know if you're gonna back-over something. I think the biggest gripe I have is that it seems we're trying to replace responsible driving with technology.

But I guess if the average IQ is 100 that really does means half the people out there are below :)

As for Crosspath Detection, where something that is not in your view quickly appears behind you, I can see the case for auto-braking.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like any other vehicle today, we don’t need 90% of what they have but it is just nice it is there. All I “need” is 4 wheels, a seat, steering wheel, engine, clutch, brake, gas pedals and a few gauges. Had a couple old trucks like that as a kid. I consider myself pretty darn good at operating anything but there is always that one time out of a thousand I may need the technology and I will be glad it is there.

Kamikaze6780

Reaction score
Even the most responsible driver will do a boneheaded move in a vehicle, we all have done it and will do something dumb in the future. Just remember, all it takes is one time. No one is a perfect driver.

It's not always the driver. I see people that walk so close to the back of a car and with a stroller mind you. One lady, she walked so close to the back of this sub and there was no freaking way to see her and that stroller, the guy started backing up and the lady banged on his back end and the guy stopped. The guy backing up actually backed into the stroller before the lady did anything. A break assist would have been very nice in that situation. The problem right now with Rams break assist is that it engages randomly for no reason. Sometimes it kicks in and sometimes it's fine.

Last edited:

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh. LOL. If we're talking about auto-braking being in someone else's car... YES... you got me there.

I can't recall where I got the notion, but I'm under the impression rear cameras will be mandated soon, if they are not already. And that should be all you need to know if you're gonna back-over something. I think the biggest gripe I have is that it seems we're trying to replace responsible driving with technology.

But I guess if the average IQ is 100 that really does means half the people out there are below :)

As for Crosspath Detection, where something that is not in your view quickly appears behind you, I can see the case for auto-braking.
Good points. As I teach my kids to drive we do turn as much of the technology off that we can so they learn to drive by paying attention and using the mirrors. ;)

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good points. As I teach my kids to drive we do turn as much of the technology off that we can so they learn to drive by paying attention and using the mirrors. ;)

That sounds right to me. I'd be nervous with a new driver at the helm of my new Ram though :)

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Absolutely:p. We use the pastures, grass lanes, and wind farm access roads for now. No public roads yet!

That sounds picturesque. If someone starts a local picture thread, I'd love if you posted a picture of that wind farm and greenery.

Here in Central Florida it's what I'd call "featureless"... to put it nicely.

dswoboda2120

Reaction score
I think you can turn off the auto-brake in the unconnect settings if you don't like it. The warning lights will remain on. I'm at work now so I can't verify but I think I've played around with the setting before. In the snow I sometimes have to shut it down temporarily with the physical switch because the snow collected on it, but other than that I do like the feature. It has never slammed on the brakes without first giving me ample warning.

Users who are viewing this thread