5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear Seat Belt Auto Locking Retractor (ALR) stopped working

RedSox10NG

Reaction score
All,

We unbuckled my daughter's rear facing car seat last night to change a setting on the seat. When attempting to reinstall the seat, using the same seat belt locking method, the seat belt will now not engage and "lock" after the webbing is fully pulled out and then retracted. When once before we would hear ratcheting and could tighten the belt, now it only returns and won't lock. Through research, this is called the "auto locking retractor." The "emergency locking retractor," i.e. the seat belt locking when emergency force is encountered, still works.

I'm assuming something is broken inside the seat belt mechanism and was looking for a fix. Furthermore, I would most likely get this replaced OEM at a dealer since it directly deals with passenger safety.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a dealer in the Central Florida area NOT INCLUDING NAPLETON CLERMONT. I have been to their service department once and will never return, for many reasons.

Thanks for any input!

2019 RAM 1500 Big Horn 4x4, approx 40k miles

Users who are viewing this thread