5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear park assist with trailer

Bob

Reaction score
Pulled a small utility trailer and tried to back up. The rear brake immediately engaged. I had to turn the park assist off, but you would think having a trailer plugged in would automatically defeat the braking function. It can extend the blind spot, but can’t turn off the brake... smh Dodge engineers!

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The engineers at Ram knew that people would use the trailer plugs for other things too, like the aftermarket lights that plug into the trailer connector, so they made the rear braking function disable automatically ONLY when the trailer plug detects electric brakes (which you need the Trailer Brake Controller installed for). This information, they conveyed in your owners manual, and has been repeated multiple times on this forum.

Welcome to the forum?

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pulled a small utility trailer and tried to back up. The rear brake immediately engaged. I had to turn the park assist off, but you would think having a trailer plugged in would automatically defeat the braking function. It can extend the blind spot, but can’t turn off the brake... smh Dodge engineers!

Thanks for joining the forum to complain... SMDH...

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow....flame on. Welcome to me!

Hey man you started it with the "smh Dodge engineers" attitude on your very first post for a problem that A: isn't a problem, and B: is explained in the owners manual. What did you expect? lol.

Seriously though, welcome to the forums, stick around, there's good people here, and it's a very useful place with TONS of info. :cool:

Bob

Reaction score
Hey man you started it with the "smh Dodge engineers" attitude on your very first post for a problem that A: isn't a problem, and B: is explained in the owners manual. What did you expect? lol.

Seriously though, welcome to the forums, stick around, there's good people here, and it's a very useful place with TONS of info. :cool:
Got it.

Located the relevant posts here on the forum. Several others voiced their dismay over the feature.

Also mentioned in the posts was this info is NOT in the manual. I looked as well and could not find any direct reference to disabling rear park sense while towing.

I like my truck.... but, there are features that can always be improved. Maybe even with a firmware update. Like maybe tying the tow/haul button in to disabling rear park sense.

I was hoping for solutions when I posted.

I have come across good info so yeah, I’ll stick around and maybe folks will change lures once in a while.....

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Look on the bright side; A) this happen(s)(ed) to many people including myself, and B) the experience was so jarring and terrifying that you probably won't make that mistake a second time! :)

Users who are viewing this thread