5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear park assist, auto e-brake bs

ClancyO

Reaction score
Anyone know how to truly defeat the rear park assist? I picked up a yard of topsoil to fill in some holes in my yard and trying to move the truck around with the tailgate down and the truck will NOT let you back up with the drivers door open. It’s almost as if the engineers at RAM have never actually USED a truck for truck stuff. I turned everything off in the settings, even the traction control, but as soon as you open the door in reverse the e-brake engages (you can hear it) and the truck auto shifts to neutral. So frustrating. If I’d wanted a sissy car, I’d have bought a Tesla.

compman72

Reaction score
Woah I have not tried this one yet backing up. Its almost as of they are making these trucks toddler friendly...
Opening the door while going forward will also apply the parking brake too.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Anyone know how to truly defeat the rear park assist? I picked up a yard of topsoil to fill in some holes in my yard and trying to move the truck around with the tailgate down and the truck will NOT let you back up with the drivers door open. It’s almost as if the engineers at RAM have never actually USED a truck for truck stuff. I turned everything off in the settings, even the traction control, but as soon as you open the door in reverse the e-brake engages (you can hear it) and the truck auto shifts to neutral. So frustrating. If I’d wanted a sissy car, I’d have bought a Tesla.
Can't you just hit the toggle switch under the radio to put it in the "off" position to prevent this? I know that works with the tailgate up, havent tried with tailgate down but I don't see why it wouldnt work.

compman72

Reaction score
Had to drop my son off in town and tried it. It didn’t do as described because I had my seatbelt on. I took the seat belt off and then the brakes applied and went into park. So next time have the seat belt on

ClancyO

Reaction score
Didn’t try the seatbelt. That would be a silly use case anyway - every time I’ve ever moved any vehicle with the door open I’m sure I wasn’t belted in. Putting a car/truck up on ramps, or using a truck in the manner I just was - unloading stuff and wanting a visual on the tires, etc.

Anyway - posted a vid:

Glenn54

Reaction score
You just turn it off with the toggle switch. When they did my spray in bed liner, they had me leave the tailgate down for 24 hours. They told me to leave the Rear Assist turn off or the brakes would lock up. I think it's just below the Uconnect, a row of toggle switches.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
If you dont have your seat belt on you can manually disengage the parking brake if it is on auto.

74 bighorn

Reaction score
Agree this is the most aggravating addition to a good truck

DM-SC

Reaction score
I went into the settings and just turned off the braking. I still get the in dash alerts and beeps, just no auto braking.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Ranger482

Reaction score
That has nothing to do with park assist, and everything to do with Anton Yelchin.
This^^^ You are confusing the rear park assist with the "safety" feature that Ram now builds into the truck that prevents you from opening the door and moving the vehicle if your seat belt is not buckled. Turning off the rear park assist will not defeat this.

Last edited:

srsbighorn95

Reaction score
They have a safety feature built in, that won’t let you drive period with the door open.... it’s definitely annoying, but I don’t think there’s anyway to turn it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ClancyO

Reaction score
For what it’s worth I may have cracked the code. Door open, truck in gear, enough pressure on brake pedal to keep the brake lights lite, and gas, and it will move. Forward and backward . Of course, power-braking a truck that’s already overloaded isn’t smart, but then again neither is an overloaded truck..

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For what it’s worth I may have cracked the code. Door open, truck in gear, enough pressure on brake pedal to keep the brake lights lite, and gas, and it will move. Forward and backward .
Yep...I’ve done this when needing to inch the truck forwards or backwards in the garage.

DM-SC

Reaction score
Well, I guess bucking the seat belt behind you would work too.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Snakes709

Reaction score
Its a new safety feature. They updated my 4th gen to do that. Plug your seat belt in behind you and just hit the latch down in the inside of the door to make it think its closed. Had to do that when i needed to test my air suspension but wouldnt work with the door open. Flipped the latch down and truck though the door was closed.

TwinSac

Reaction score
I felt the rear brake assist for the first time today.

My trailer tow hitch was in (first time) and I went in reverse, just fast enough where my foot was off the brake.

I damn near shat myself when it locked up. I thought I hit something or was stuck on something underneath. Backing up to the trailer was suspenseful. I was dreading it locking up on me again. I'll disable the feature tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

drstein

Reaction score
I felt the rear brake assist for the first time today.

My trailer tow hitch was in (first time) and I went in reverse, just fast enough where my foot was off the brake.

I damn near shat myself when it locked up. I thought I hit something or was stuck on something underneath. Backing up to the trailer was suspenseful. I was dreading it locking up on me again. I'll disable the feature tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Same thing. First got the truck, backing up in the drive and SLAM. OMG, WHAT did I hit ?? Cam shows nothing there, just those inch high rocks (4 ft away ) bordering the driveway, crazy. Turned that feature right off.

Users who are viewing this thread