5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear Locking Differential

kthibs22

Reaction score
Hello,
New to the forum, I’m currently looking at the new 2020 Ram Limited but I’m having a question on the options for the Rear Locking Differential. Would someone be able to explain the differences between the Electronic Locking Differential and the Anti Spin Differential Options or has had experience with one of them.
Thanks

Tom488

Reaction score
Anti-spin is also known as a limited slip differential. It uses internal clutches to distribute power to both rear wheels, while still allowing differential action - that is, one wheel to spin faster than the other during turns.

The electronic locker is an open differential when not engaged (standard differential operation - power goes to the wheel with the least resistance), but is fully locked up when engaged (both wheels are mechanically locked together, and can not turn differentially). Not to be used on hard surfaces, but provides the most amount of traction when engaged in low-traction situations.

IMO, if you don't plan on leaving the pavement, and have little off-road-driving experience, you'll be better served with the anti-spin. On the other hand, if you want the most off-road, low-traction capability, you can't do better than a locking rear differential.

Rick J

Reaction score
Hello,
New to the forum, I’m currently looking at the new 2020 Ram Limited but I’m having a question on the options for the Rear Locking Differential. Would someone be able to explain the differences between the Electronic Locking Differential and the Anti Spin Differential Options or has had experience with one of them.
Thanks
Maybe this will help.

AXLE LOCKER SYSTEM — IF EQUIPPED
This vehicle is equipped with an electronically locking rear differential. This differential, when engaged, mechanically lock together the axle shafts forcing the wheels to spin at an equal rate. The locking of the rear differential should only be engaged during low-speed, extreme off-road situations where one wheel is likely to not be in contact with the ground. It is not recommended to drive the vehicle with the differentials locked on pavement due to the reduced ability to turn and speed limitations.

LIMITED-SLIP DIFFERENTIAL — IF EQUIPPED
The limited-slip differential provides additional traction on snow, ice, mud, sand and gravel, particularly when there is a difference between the traction characteristics of the surface under the right and left rear wheels. During normal driving and cornering, the limited-slip unit performs similarly to a conventional differential. On slippery surfaces, however, the differential delivers more of the driving effort to the rear wheel having the better traction.
The limited-slip differential is especially helpful during slippery driving conditions.

Bo3liwe

Reaction score
Anti-spin is also known as a limited slip differential. It uses internal clutches to distribute power to both rear wheels, while still allowing differential action - that is, one wheel to spin faster than the other during turns.

The electronic locker is an open differential when not engaged (standard differential operation - power goes to the wheel with the least resistance), but is fully locked up when engaged (both wheels are mechanically locked together, and can not turn differentially). Not to be used on hard surfaces, but provides the most amount of traction when engaged in low-traction situations.

IMO, if you don't plan on leaving the pavement, and have little off-road-driving experience, you'll be better served with the anti-spin. On the other hand, if you want the most off-road, low-traction capability, you can't do better than a locking rear differential.
(Not to be used on hard surfaces)
Hi
If i engaged it(The electronic locker)
On hard surfaces for (5sec) and Driving at a very light speed.Just to ensure its effectiveness, it has no manufacturer defect. And it's working perfectly.is there any problems?
Thank you

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just to add to this discussion, the anti-spin uses clutches that will wear out, earlier versions from other manufacturers were about useless after 60-70K miles (based on my Ford experience), while the mechanical locking device stays good for the life of the gears. So if you think you might own your truck past say 70K and really want to know that it's not functioning like an open differential, then go the mechanical locker route.

Knowing all this I went with the anti-slip due to limited availability of the locking diff on my trim level and gears (3.21) and the fact that anti-spin does work on wet roads and speeds above that which the mechanical locking diff does not.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just to add to this discussion, the anti-spin uses clutches that will wear out, earlier versions from other manufacturers were about useless after 60-70K miles (based on my Ford experience), while the mechanical locking device stays good for the life of the gears. So if you think you might own your truck past say 70K and really want to know that it's not functioning like an open differential, then go the mechanical locker route.

Knowing all this I went with the anti-slip due to limited availability of the locking diff on my trim level and gears (3.21) and the fact that anti-spin does work on wet roads and speeds above that which the mechanical locking diff does not.

I've owned three Dodge/Ram trucks with Limited Slip Differentials (two Chrysler Corporate, one ZF) and I have found no degradation of operation after and over 100,000 miles. All three were maintained at the manufacturers recommendation, which included interval fluid changes and the correct Mopar friction modifier added.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 029656 miles.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I've owned three Dodge/Ram trucks with Limited Slip Differentials (two Chrysler Corporate, one ZF) and I have found no degradation of operation after and over 100,000 miles. All three were maintained at the manufacturers recommendation, which included interval fluid changes and the correct Mopar friction modifier added.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 029656 miles.
That's great news for Dodge/RAM products. Can't say the same for my experience with Fords, From an F150 post: "I've never had a ford "limited slip" last more than 36k miles before they became useless without having to add more friction modifier." end of copied post from the 2015+ site.
I see quite a few F150 and mustang forum complaints about their LSD's, how they are set up etc. (That's why I was careful to not say Dodge/RAM as I have not had their product before this one.)

Appreciate your input (y), perhaps RAM uses a better quality friction additive or better clutches? Or maybe they aren't set up to grab as quickly? Any information would be welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's great news for Dodge/RAM products. Can't say the same for my experience with Fords, From an F150 post: "I've never had a ford "limited slip" last more than 36k miles before they became useless without having to add more friction modifier." end of copied post from the 2015+ site.
I see quite a few F150 and mustang forum complaints about their LSD's, how they are set up etc. (That's why I was careful to not say Dodge/RAM as I have not had their product before this one.)

Appreciate your input (y), perhaps RAM uses a better quality friction additive or better clutches? Or maybe they aren't set up to grab as quickly? Any information would be welcome.
I've never owned a Ford product with limited slip nor can I say that I know anybody that currently owns one. If you're by any chance referring to that 'knock-knock-knock' noise on turns, or on partially snow or ice covered roads, I've heard a few. That is usually cause by the clutches chattering or one axle binding up on the clutches. In all honesty, I've heard that on GMs as well.

The answer to why I never experienced any performance loss of my LSDs is probably due to my following the service manuals directive on routine maintenance. So by changing the fluid at 50,000 miles and adding new friction modifier I avoided any issues. I did go 75,000 on my 2015 Ram 1500, but that had the new (and current) ZF design.

Is it possible others are not paying attention to the recommended service interval on their Ford LSDs?

Best regards,
Dusty

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I've never owned a Ford product with limited slip nor can I say that I know anybody that currently owns one. If you're by any chance referring to that 'knock-knock-knock' noise on turns, or on partially snow or ice covered roads, I've heard a few. That is usually cause by the clutches chattering or one axle binding up on the clutches. In all honesty, I've heard that on GMs as well.

The answer to why I never experienced any performance loss of my LSDs is probably due to my following the service manuals directive on routine maintenance. So by changing the fluid at 50,000 miles and adding new friction modifier I avoided any issues. I did go 75,000 on my 2015 Ram 1500, but that had the new (and current) ZF design.

Is it possible others are not paying attention to the recommended service interval on their Ford LSDs?

Best regards,
Dusty
Yes, thats part of it (the noise) as well as some complained about it simply not being "grabby" anymore.
I'd agree that a lack of maintenance is a problem.
From "Americantrucks.com":
Ford F150 Limited Slip
While shopping, you’ll likely hear the term Limited Slip the most. A Limited-Slip Differential works much the same as an open diff; it is intended to keep the wheels moving equally at different vehicle speeds. But the variance arrives during low traction situations. Limited-Slip Differentials allow the tires to spin at different speeds, but a system of clutches and springs allow both wheels to receive equal or similar power.
This design helps get one up to speed and lays the torque down much quicker than an open differential, and is better to get out of sticky situations where traction is “limited.” The design’s largest downfall? The Limited-Slip clutches are made of a similar material that you would find on the clutch in your manual transmission. Due to this, these differentials will require more maintenance than an open differential to help prolong the life of the clutches. This means special differential fluid additives are required. And of course, the clutches eventually wear out and need replacing.
(End of copied post, bolding added for emphasis).

Owners forget that the LSD is not a lifetime unit like a mechanical one.

Tom488

Reaction score
If i engaged it(The electronic locker)
On hard surfaces for (5sec) and Driving at a very light speed.Just to ensure its effectiveness, it has no manufacturer defect. And it's working perfectly.is there any problems?
No, not a problem at all - it's only a problem when one wheel wants to turn faster/slower than the other (like in a turn), and both wheels have very good traction. SOMETHING has to give, and you want that something to be the tire's grip on the road. Otherwise, you're busting U-joints, shearing teeth off of ring gears, or doing some other driveline damage. So don't engage the locker and try and perform a K turn - but to engage it, especially on a wet road, and try laying down a pair of skid marks - that would be fine.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,
Thanks
Here is a pretty good video explaining the different styles of differentials.

chrisnack

Reaction score
Is "Anti–Spin Differential Rear Axle" the LSD that RAM offers? I have it on my truck and was curious if it was an actual LSD or not.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Is "Anti–Spin Differential Rear Axle" the LSD that RAM offers? I have it on my truck and was curious if it was an actual LSD or not.
Yes. Kinda confusing language. Its a clutch based non-heavy duty unit, not a mechanical locker like the GM G-80. Plan on not having “anti-spin” within say 60,000 miles. They wear out. The wear-out mileage is variable but they all wear out and then you have basically an open diff.
It has good “street manners” though, compared to a locking differential.

The below copied post is from a Feb 24, 2019 RamForum.com thread:
“Hi. Need some help. The more I research the more I scratch my head.
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 hemi crew cab. I just bought it with 50k mi. Certified pre owned which will cover power train till 100k and still within the 3mo 3k max care. The window sticker says anti spin diff. My previous truck had an elocking rear. I was trying to find out what kind of anti spin was in here. Helical, clutch based etc. I know certain helical anti spin rears have a slight thump/delay engaging/disengaging that you pretty much have to live with and if the clutch packs on a clutch based system wear you might feel similar. I know the clutch based need clutch packs replaced usually around 50k miles and if I have that type of system I’ll get them done while I can do under warranty so I’m hoping I can get a definitive answer. My experience is if I call 3 different dodge service dealers I’ll get 3 different answers so I’ll turn to the experts on here. And is the rear diff and gears part of the power train warranty?”

A page 2 reply said this:
”It's a clutch system and that is why they want you to use 75w140, they want some grab between that clutch. If it's too thin, it slips. That is what I was told anyhow when I went in for the pinion recall. I forget exactly what he said but it was something like that, it was a while back. The difference between the usual 90 weight and 140 weight is about double the viscosity. 90 weight is about like 30 weight engine oil, so when it gets hot it is thin. Operating viscosity is somehwere around 12-13, but 75w140 goes like operating visc 26. So at normal temps either is ok, but diffs can get real hot in medium duty with load, thus they want the thicker oil, as at the higher temps the 90 weight egst too thin. It is also very easy to change yourself, especially if there is a drain bolt. I'd change it every 30k miles, and Mopar is notoriously bad fluid, get redline back in there or at least Amsoil SG. I'f you wanted an otc go with m1, they are also known for good gear fluid. I'd even use Valvoline before going back with Mopar, and I'd avoid RP personally. Look up Amsoil gear fluid studies. Even after all that said, I never heard of diff needing service at 50k miles in a ram, in fact I don't think I have heard of any failures around here. Very rare”

end of copied posts

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Cool, that's what i figured, but the language was odd. Doubt i'll have the truck at 60k, so shouldn't be an issue.
Did you try for the $250 Bonus Drive rebate?

(Sheesh, sounds like I’m shilling for that program, but no, just want as many guys to get the free $$$ as possible.)

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cool, that's what i figured, but the language was odd. Doubt i'll have the truck at 60k, so shouldn't be an issue.
Regarding the length of service to expect from a limited slip differential, I've had two Chrysler-built LSDs, and one ZF LSD, and all went over 100,000 miles without having an issue and working like they did when new. My first, in fact went 160K without any apparent loss of effectiveness. My son's had two, also without any issues or performance loss, and he's got almost 200K on a 2007.

However, because these are clutch-type LSDs, it is important that the factory recommended maintenance interval be followed. In my experience not only does the differential fluid become contaminated sooner than an open diff, but the friction additive loses it effectiveness before the fluid itself. I always used the 'severe service' portion of the maintenance schedule, which in my case I would change out the diff lubricant and friction additive every 50,000 miles.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031464 miles.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Regarding the length of service to expect from a limited slip differential, I've had two Chrysler-built LSDs, and one ZF LSD, and all went over 100,000 miles without having an issue and working like they did when new. My first, in fact went 160K without any apparent loss of effectiveness. My son's had two, also without any issues or performance loss, and he's got almost 200K on a 2007.

However, because these are clutch-type LSDs, it is important that the factory recommended maintenance interval be followed. In my experience not only does the differential fluid become contaminated sooner than an open diff, but the friction additive loses it effectiveness before the fluid itself. I always used the 'severe service' portion of the maintenance schedule, which in my case I would change out the diff lubricant and friction additive every 50,000 miles.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031464 miles.
Thanks Dusty. Many owners never change the diff fluid. Very ignored item.

Users who are viewing this thread