5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear leg room

Deriggs007

Reaction score
So we all know that the 2019 RAM touts that it has the best rear-seat legroom at around 45", but is this actually accurate against other manufacturers in our class?

First, I'm not complaining as it's way more than enough for me, but let me give you a little back story.

Where I work, we always go out to lunch every day as a team, and we all switch driving. There is about 6-7 of us that regularly go to lunch, out of the 6-7 of us, 5 of us always end up in trucks, we always rode in 2 different F-150's - A 2014 and 2018, the equivalent of the crew cab of the RAM's. I would say about 80% of the time we're in the 2018 F-150 now.

So I get a RAM, can't wait to show off this puppy and talk about the "Best in class leg room" and out of the 7 people we always go to lunch with and rotating inside my truck when I drive to lunch - 6 of them (because I make 7) agree that the F-150 has more room, and we're talking about people who don't even drive trucks and just ride with us and being unbiased by the manufacturer.

So where is the 45" measured from? Maybe the seats go back further on the RAM than it does on the F-150 and thus you get the different number? Maybe I just have my seats further back? Who knows???? One co-worker believes the back seats are "deeper" and thus make less room as you're able to sit higher up to curve of the front-seats and reducing your space between the knees and the seat.

Anyways, I'm going to be doing a small test with my co-worker and pull out the tape measure and see just how much "real" leg room there is when sitting in the back seat.

It's not a big deal at all, but what I don't like about manufacturers are when they tout "best in class" when in actuality, it's false advertisement. What I hate even more is when car reviewers post there story and say "yeah, this has more leg room than any other truck on the market" and if that ends up being false, I'm going to be a little salty about something that means nothing lol.

What do you guys think, does anyone else share this sort of feeling? I remember seeing one thread about it on this forum where they said the F-150 had more rear leg room. Maybe they were onto something and we told him off.....

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I sat in the back of a Ram and F150 and leg room felt similiar. I however think the Ram has a much more comfortable back seat where the F150 is more of a flatter lower park bench feel.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
I sat in the back of a Ram and F150 and leg room felt similiar. I however think the Ram has a much more comfortable back seat where the F150 is more of a flatter lower park bench feel.

Oh, they all definitely agree the comfort of the seats is no comparrison, the only debate is the actual amount of ROOM there is in the back

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All I can say is my dog travel crate actually fits in the Ram on the floor with the seat bottoms up. In the 2016 F150 King Ranch I had, I needed to collapse the crate and assemble it in the truck. It was a hair too big. The Ram has more floor room.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All I can say is my dog travel crate actually fits in the Ram on the floor with the seat bottoms up. In the 2016 F150 King Ranch I had, I needed to collapse the crate and assemble it in the truck. It was a hair too big. The Ram has more floor room.
I can't imagine that the F150 has more legroom or is more comfortable. My son is 6'3" and finds the rear seat to be ridiculously roomy. No way is the Ford more roomy.

Johnvan

Reaction score
Are the rear seats reclined? That moves the base of the seat forward rather than the traditional recline. That reduces the leg room.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Are the rear seats reclined? That moves the base of the seat forward rather than the traditional recline. That reduces the leg room.

Definitely not.

Again, what one co-worker was thinking was that the angle of the back seat sitting down and where the knees align with the front-seats has less room than an F-150 from the contour.

I think the floor has more leg room than the F-150, but 6 other people did not agree with this and anytime I've been riding in the F-150, it's starting to look that way too, but I'm holding on to my Ram haha.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I’ve looked at both. RAM has same, if not more, room with more comfort. Pretty sure is more on the RAM though.
The people saying otherwise are jealous sourgrapes Ford owners... :p

doublenichols

Reaction score
Traded my 4th Gen in December, and I'm 6'6" tall. I got the 2019 Limited, and there's NO question about the rear leg room. NO question! I mean it's not ridiculously more, but 4 inches makes quite a bit of difference. It just FEELS much roomier.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
I’ve looked at both. RAM has same, if not more room with more comfort.
The people saying otherwise are jealous sourgrapes Ford owners... :p

I'm a RAM owner and I'm starting to believe it does too. Maybe not floor space, but if I sit down in the seat, starting to think there's more room. Could be wrong, but that's why we're going to measure it!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My wife commented on this during our test drives. The Ram might measure larger in some respects, but the F-150 seemed to have as much or more knee clearance to both of us. It also didn’t have as much hardware under the front seats to be hit by our feet. But...we’re totally splitting hairs here. Both trucks have plenty of room, and the Ram interior is a very nice place to be.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
My wife commented on this during our test drives. The Ram might measure larger in some respects, but the F-150 seemed to have as much or more knee clearance to both of us. It also didn’t have as much hardware under the front seats to be hit by our feet. But...we’re totally splitting hairs here. Both trucks have plenty of room, and the Ram interior is a very nice place to be.

Yes this. I guess only way to tell is by actually measuring. My main question still stands. Where is this 45" coming from? How is the measurement made?

SPYvSPY

Reaction score

I traded in a 2016 F150 crew and I feel that there was more room in the f150. Wouldn’t trade my Ram for it though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bleda2002

Reaction score
The ram has more space than my f150 did at least as observed for a rear facing car seat. In the f150 the rear facing behind my seat had an inch of 2 of clearance. In the ram I'm closer to 5.

alow

Reaction score
Maybe it has to do with the front seat positioning? Keep us posted but honestly I do not regret my choice and it seems plenty roomy.

Rich

Reaction score
I don't know, and don't really care as I didn't buy the truck based on this feature, it was just a nice to know type of item for me.

With that said, obviously the amount of room (or the feeling of said room or space) in the back seat area will greatly vary from truck to truck depending on where the front seat(s) are positioned and if the front seat backs are reclined at all. It may also vary by trim as the reclining rear seats may have a different profile and seating angle than the non reclining versions. I think there are three (or four) different rear seat types, and three or four different front seat varieties?

With so many combinations of the above, it's no wonder that some people see different results when sitting in the rear seats. Add similar variations of other brand of vehicles and you'll find even more differing of opinions!

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My friends all have F* trucks and the space difference between the F* super crew and the RAM is minimal. There are certain aspects on each that are bigger/smaller than the other. I think the RAM is more comfortable and has more options for the rear passenger. Mainly the fact that there is a floor vent under the driver and passenger front seats. So if you live in a cold climate and use floor (or auto) heat it will give the rear passengers floor heat. This might actually cut down on foot room since you can't slide your feet under the front seats if you're sitting in the back. Also the interior of the Fords is pretty abysmal. Limited cup holders, and limited options. I have taken long road trips in fords plenty of times and was never that impressed.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Very important consideration also, is headroom. From what I've read here, Ford's is not as ample in the back, since the glass of the sunroof goes inside when retracted.
The headroom in the RAM is massive. Love it.

silverbullet

Reaction score
My dad had a 14 F-150 and it was huge in the back. My ram is huge in the back as well. I can cross my legs. Fall down, skin my knee. All that stuff. I do know that measurements can be done differently between manufacturers. I don't believe it's a standard thing. So maybe one has the front seats back more when they take the measurement etc...Anything to make a claim of best in class.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
I am in no way disliking my RAM over the F-150. Just pointing out the differences that other people are noticing and honestly, if I wasn't being biased towards my RAM, I may actually agree with them. It just 'feels' bigger.

The only true way to tell is by actually measuring the vehicles at exact locations. Eg, putting the seats as far back as possible and measuring from contour to back seat for example. Or from back seat to front seat.

Again, it's 2", and it's nothing that matters. They would still rather be in my truck for the rides over the F-150. However, they're stabbing me in the heart when I say "I have more room" and 6 of them say that it's definitely wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread