5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rear hitch steo

fast ed

Reaction score
I have a 22 longhorn with rear collision braking turned on. When I installed a hitch step, I cannot back up without the brake self energizing. Is there any type of adjustment that can be made ?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You know, you can edit your opsts. So what are those sensors, ultrasonic? Do any of the tuners let you turn the feature off? Or maybe you could relocate the sensors, or give it a shot of nitrous. ;)

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 22 longhorn with rear collision braking turned on. When I installed a hitch step, I cannot back up without the brake self energizing. Is there any type of adjustment that can be made ?
Auto brake can be turned off in your uconnect settings. I'm not sure if you can adjust the sensitivity or not.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Anything that protrudes from the truck will be picked up by the sensors. The only way I know of to silence that is to either shut off the sensors or move them to the step.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can't you just use the button on your dash to turn off the rear parking sensors?

button.jpg

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There are only two choices. Remove the hitch step or turn off the sensors. There are a lot of people who have tried the hitch step and had issues. There are a couple of there that work, but I don't know which ones.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are more than two options depending on what he's trying to do. Disable the auto braking option in the settings but keep the sensors on, disable both sensors and auto braking (button on dash), or remove the step.

I personally keep my sensors on unless I have a trailer attached, and I have had the auto braking turned off since about day 2 of owning the truck. It slammed me into the seat backing into a parking spot at work and my coworker thought I wrecked the truck. That was one time too many for me.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard the Mopar hitch step works with the sndors

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are more than two options depending on what he's trying to do. Disable the auto braking option in the settings but keep the sensors on, disable both sensors and auto braking (button on dash), or remove the step.

I personally keep my sensors on unless I have a trailer attached, and I have had the auto braking turned off since about day 2 of owning the truck. It slammed me into the seat backing into a parking spot at work and my coworker thought I wrecked the truck. That was one time too many for me.
It happened to me twice in tall grass. Once with the wife in the truck. I thought I was going to have to burn the truck till she cooled off. I went straight home and found where to shut it off, but keep sensors on

Mopar bed step on the side works great without scaring the truck.

GoMango16

Reaction score
I have the factory step and bought this step for the 3rd light. Back-up sensors do not detect it and work just fine. Which tailgate do you have?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Turn the auto brake off in the Uconnect settings. I did this day one

Users who are viewing this thread