5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear glass replacement due to crack plastic/leak!

Papi4baby

Reaction score
I was gone for work when the truck was dropped off, this was after they did a “fix” and it didn’t work so they decided to replace it.

I just got back and looking at the glass it looks like crap now, any recourse on my end? Truck is a 22 limited.

Attachments

• IMG_2130.jpeg
    IMG_2130.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 109

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was gone for work when the truck was dropped off, this was after they did a “fix” and it didn’t work so they decided to replace it.

I just got back and looking at the glass it looks like crap now, any recourse on my end? Truck is a 22 limited.
Yeah you don't have to accept poor quality workmanship. Take it back to place that did it and ask them to make it look the way it was., Minus the water leak

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Wow that is such a terrible job.
I wouldn't do much better but no one is paying me to silicone their truck.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score

That looks like the rubber seal for the 3rd brake light is not seated correctly.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like whatever they shoved in the crack to fix it first is still in thier.

Papi4baby

Reaction score
That looks like the rubber seal for the 3rd brake light is not seated correctly.
Upon a better look that’s what appears to be the case.

Dealer agreed and ask to bring it in this week. Hope they swap it for a new gasket and not just try to make this one fit, looks damaged in a few spots.

Limited Legend

Reaction score

They should be ashamed of that work, absolutely unacceptable. Get RamCares involved.

Papi4baby

Reaction score
They should be ashamed of that work, absolutely unacceptable. Get RamCares involved.
I thought it was pretty bad myself, they are fixing it, I am a bit upset this is the 3rd time the truck is at the dealer for this issue. Thankfully I have another vehicle, I just can’t see what would happen if something major breaks.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I thought it was pretty bad myself, they are fixing it, I am a bit upset this is the 3rd time the truck is at the dealer for this issue. Thankfully I have another vehicle, I just can’t see what would happen if something major breaks.
Unbelievable that any shop would release something that looks like that. Time to start researching other dealers in your area.

Papi4baby

Reaction score
Just got a call back stating that’s the adhesive they used to seal the leak.

Mind you it was the glass that was leaking not the light.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just got a call back stating that’s the adhesive they used to seal the leak.

Mind you it was the glass that was leaking not the light.
So are they going to clean it up?

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Unbelievable that any shop would release something that looks like that. Time to start researching other dealers in your area.
I'm not defending anyone because that is unacceptable work but glass replacement work is usually always farmed out to a local auto glass shop so dealer needs to find a better shop.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm not defending anyone because that is unacceptable work but glass replacement work is usually always farmed out to a local auto glass shop so dealer needs to find a better shop.
That may be true, but obviously no one at the dealership cared enough to backcheck the job before releasing the vehicle.

Papi4baby

Reaction score
That may be true, but obviously no one at the dealership cared enough to backcheck the job before releasing the vehicle.
And this is my heart ache about it, they keep saying that it is contracted out and that they don’t do glass work!

I guess they also don’t check their work, and are fine putting their name behind it apparently.

Papi4baby

Reaction score
So are they going to clean it up?
Well they first said that it was how it is, I insisted that it looks bad and they said they will talk to the tech again.

I called 5 minutes later telling the to stop touching the truck, I just don’t trust them anymore.

Will go to a glass shop myself and have them fix it, then bill FCA directly.

Truly unsat.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
And this is my heart ache about it, they keep saying that it is contracted out and that they don’t do glass work!

I guess they also don’t check their work, and are fine putting their name behind it apparently.
Might of been contracted out, but i'm assuming you got it fixed under the Ram warranty right since it's a 2022? Therefore it's a Ram repair no matter who the dealership sent it to, they got paid back from Ram for the warranty work and this it's a Ram repair imo.
Sucks you need to deal with it yourself.

Papi4baby

Reaction score
IMG_2141.jpeg

The tech offering part was after I called telling them to not touch the vehicle.

IMG_2140.jpeg
And yes, somehow the truck came back worse they even got the silicone or whatever it is on the glass now.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Get Ram Cares involved!
If only that would actually help.

View attachment 160312

The tech offering part was after I called telling them to not touch the vehicle.

View attachment 160313
And yes, somehow the truck came back worse they even got the silicone or whatever it is on the glass now.
For what it's worth I am 99.9% sure that is black silocone.
It should peel right off since it's new, if you have a problem use a plastic blade.

Really crappy area to work in though. I wonder wtf they were trying to seal by putting it there.

I can also second that the third brake light likely has a foam "seal" it's normally thing walled foam that just gets compressed into oblivion. Not uncommon to put silicone around the seal, or remove the seal and just use silicone depending on the fit, but it would never look like that, they should of put it on the third brake light and let it press, not the metal.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If only that would actually help.

For what it's worth I am 99.9% sure that is black silocone.
It should peel right off since it's new, if you have a problem use a plastic blade.

Really crappy area to work in though. I wonder wtf they were trying to seal by putting it there.

I can also second that the third brake light likely has a foam "seal" it's normally thing walled foam that just gets compressed into oblivion. Not uncommon to put silicone around the seal, or remove the seal and just use silicone depending on the fit, but it would never look like that, they should of put it on the third brake light and let it press, not the metal.
It is actually a eurathane sealant. Silicone should NEVER be used to install or seal auto glass.

Users who are viewing this thread