5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear fender flares taking a beating

Ben1500GT

Reaction score
So about 1k miles in I’ve noticed the rear fender flares are taking a beating from the road debris and getting a few chips. I’m going to touch them up and put ppf on them ASAP but curious if mud flaps are a solution to this or if this is just part of truck ownership.

22’ limited so it has power running boards and no mud flaps so wondering if that’s part of it.
0a5253631f48f29f29c6ebab2854ac08.jpg

fc1b3d81fbd16b7fe32ec53e377c1793.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You could put ppf over that whole area.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mud flaps will certainly help but the flare is doing its job as it is intended. They are installed to protect your paint job.
Flares were added to allow for wider tires and look kool, and have become more popular over time. Driving conditions, i.e., road type, speed are the big factor. Just a fact of life in the fast lane.

Ben1500GT

Reaction score
Mud flaps will certainly help but the flare is doing its job as it is intended. They are installed to help protect your paint job.

Cool - didn’t know that that was their original intent! It appears they’re just bolted on right? Simple to swap out for a replacement oem part down the road if needed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mud flaps will help a little, but as Biga mentioned above, the only thing that will work is either stationary running boards or PPF.

Body colored fenders are really an accent piece, they do protect from rocks on the wheel arch they are attached to, but getting them chipped will look like crap, especially for a white one.

That is the only reason why I have running boards, is to protect my rear quarter panel from rock damage, not just your flares but the metal next to the flares can also get chipped.

Last edited:

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Theres already a small piece of PPF on them from the factory, I have 30K miles and have only seen on small nick, I may PPF them at some point though

Screenshot 2022-02-20 110947.png

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Mopar mud flaps-guards come out over the fender flares unlike the others, but if you don't have wheel wells the mud guards have a space and or shelve the rocks and mud snow will sit on. This is the new version that has a foam insert in it.

usedup

Reaction score
On my '21 the saran wrap the factory provides was getting tattered after 10K. We'll see how the '22 fares in the real world.

Users who are viewing this thread