5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear ended, only 2 weeks old, need some advice

ppowell1983

Reaction score
Today on the way to church I got rear ended by a woman who had her foot slip off the brake.. The only damage is the bumper got 2 chips where the license plate bracket screws were. I would really like the entire pumper painted but I’m not sure if that’s the best option... should I have it repainted or just touch it up because the factory paint is better than a repaint?

d0dbba13beb74d0f055bf705ec7bfaeb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gpbst3

Reaction score
Check with one of those paint chip wizzard repair companies.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Today on the way to church I got rear ended by a woman who had her foot slip off the brake.. The only damage is the bumper got 2 chips where the license plate bracket screws were. I would really like the entire pumper painted but I’m not sure if that’s the best option... should I have it repainted or just touch it up because the factory paint is better than a repaint?

d0dbba13beb74d0f055bf705ec7bfaeb.jpg

You refer to 'paint" in your post, but it looks like a chrome bumper to me. However, painted or not dents in that metal aren't easy to remove and the labor involved is probably the equivalent to the price of a new one. If it's chrome, refinishing would be much more than a new one and over time you might not be happy about the quality. I'm betting the insurance company will write a check for full replacement.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 18 inch wheels, now at 016978 miles

ppowell1983

Reaction score
You refer to 'paint" in your post, but it looks like a chrome bumper to me. However, painted or not dents in that metal aren't easy to remove and the labor involved is probably the equivalent to the price of a new one. If it's chrome, refinishing would be much more than a new one and over time you might not be happy about the quality. I'm betting the insurance company will write a check for full replacement.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 18 inch wheels, now at 016978 miles

I guess it’s hard to see, the bumper is black as I have the painted bumper package on my Limited. There’s no dents, just chipped paint. Here’s a picture of my truck

edaf411c5b4b2effad8ef99b5d89fbe9.jpg

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess it’s hard to see, the bumper is black as I have the painted bumper package on my Limited. There’s no dents, just chipped paint. Here’s a picture of my truck

edaf411c5b4b2effad8ef99b5d89fbe9.jpg

Nice looking truck!! Did the dealer install the pinstripe?
Regards,
Dusty

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got rear ended the day after I bought mine. The driver who hit me’s insurance fixed it. My dealer’s body shop ordered a new bumper (they all come unpainted) and they sprayed it with factory paint and installed it. Came out perfectly.

Attachments

• E60FE72A-BBF4-4B29-B950-ED83C4BC22D7.jpeg
    E60FE72A-BBF4-4B29-B950-ED83C4BC22D7.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 117
  • F8318289-F223-48D1-B33F-747FC6A4FA4C.jpeg
    F8318289-F223-48D1-B33F-747FC6A4FA4C.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 118
  • CFA28989-98C6-4973-A6E9-6CDEDB8D815E.jpeg
    CFA28989-98C6-4973-A6E9-6CDEDB8D815E.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 120

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I would think - it being a new truck and you not being at fault - CALL THE LADY'S INSURANCE COMPANY to make your claim.

I've done this on more than one occasion, in a "not my fault" accident. This also bypasses having to pay your deductible.

Tell the IT'S TWO WEEKS OLD AND I WANT A NEW BUMPER. Lucky it's NEW, so a newly painted bumper will match the rest of the truck.

I had a black Corvette back in '05. Every time it got in a wreck - I made insurance PAINT THE WHOLE CAR - so the paint would match.

I'm running a WeatherTech Large Hitch Step on my current truck, to try and minimize any potential damage from idiots rolling into me. One did at a light, with my old truck, 2 days before I traded it in. I jumped out ready to shoot the kid - lucky for him there was a cop right behind him (put the damn phone down child). Also lucky - there was no damage. Would have sucked for my trade to have body damage.

Best of luck on your repair.

Rick

cotonymopar

Reaction score
I leave the hitch ball on mine for just that reason, let them hit that instead. I would deal with the lady's insurance, and have them fix it.

Lungs414

Reaction score
Be careful. Once an accident report is made Carfax will show a claim. That will cost you value. Just a fact. Check with your state about making a diminished value claim. Unfortunately I experienced this with my new Audi Q8 with less than a 1000 miles. Trade in book value gets reduced by 10-15%. I was unable to sue due too NYS law prohibiting it. When I brought the car in for unrelated warranty issues, the dealer told me they would check to see if I had coverage due to the accident, they checked carfax, they always do apparently. They gave me a hard time and wound up putting in a supplemental claim with the other drivers insurance. They naturally fought it and eventually paid , even though i felt it was unrelated.

I also was hit from behind while stopped at a light.

Moral of the story think it out, try not to report it and get cash too fix if you can.
The whole thing sucks. And continues to suck.

Good luck

Jack Whitefield

Reaction score
I would not file a claim with insurance. There is a good chance it will end up on Carfax, etc. If the 2 marks are minor, I would just touch them up, and move on. I never like taking my vehicles to body shops. Inevitably, they are never as good as the factory, and I've had vehicles come out of body shops with new dents and dings. Then you have to fight the shop to repair those. Body shops can be a huge hassle.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Be careful. Once an accident report is made Carfax will show a claim. That will cost you value. Just a fact. Check with your state about making a diminished value claim.
Good luck

the hardest part to filing a diminished value claim is getting someone to put down on paper what the loss is! i had lots of people, (11 different dealer/appraisers), tell me over the phone what they thought the loss was. only one would put on their company letter head the dollar amount.

Lungs414

Reaction score
the hardest part to filing a diminished value claim is getting someone to put down on paper what the loss is! i had lots of people, (11 different dealer/appraisers), tell me over the phone what they thought the loss was. only one would put on their company letter head the dollar amount.
I totally agree. I would get an attorney involved. I called a highly recommended lawyer who basically explained the process. But as soon as I said NY he was quick to get me off the phone. Don't blame him since no money in it for him. But he assured me it was worth while if my incident was in NJ. I would have recovered 15-20 K.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If i had the choice id want it fully repainted. Probably run somewhere around $750-900 depending on your area. I have a deep scratch on my front bumper from someone and that has been the range of quotes ive seen.

Klute

Reaction score
I would get an estimate and contact the person that hit you. Chances are they don't want to file a claim either. How much for a new factory painted bumper? Maybe just order that and skip the claim and potential lost value.

Dynamite

Reaction score
I dont tow anything but i use the hitch tow mount to prevent or avoid things like these... Also it can be used as bumper step.
IMG-20191225-WA0013.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread