5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear end vibration at highway speeds.

Eweezy15

Reaction score
bumping this as i have some new developments.

i brought it to the dealer and they took it for a ride and said they couldn't replicate the issue. i told them it happens around 60-65mph so i'm not really sure how they could get to those speeds in boston during rush hour since 93 has a max speed of about 50mph at that time.

once they told me they couldn't find any issue and there was nothing they could do, i asked what was next. they came back to tell me that i was probably feeling MDS. i told them that i was familiar with MDS and it doesn't cause the truck to now shake with a vibration from the rear end that i can feel in the steering wheel and see in the mirrors at highway speed. additionally, i know when MDS is engaged and this is not the issue.

they came back again after i asked if i was OK with a rotation of the tires for $20. i asked if they could rebalance and they came back and said yes, for $65 they'd rotate the tires and rebalance them. i now have high hopes.

i get the truck back and leave and head home. i told them i would try to see if the issue was resolved once i can get the truck to highway speeds. once i arrive home, i notice two very important things here:
1. i lightly curbed my drivers side rear tire a week after i received the truck. funny enough, that curbed wheel was still on the driver's side rear - so they didn't rotate it.
2. i have god awful scuff marks and chips on ALL FOUR of my premium wheels now!! i cannot believe this. i took pictures that don't really do the damage justice.

i immediately called the dealer and played phone tag but finally got in touch with the service manager. i explained the above story and he told me he needs to check on some things and he'd be in touch. i am hoping to hear back from him before the end of the week.

to add insult to injury, i took the truck on the highway today and the vibration is still there - just as apparent as before the dealer touched the truck.
My 21 limited ecodiesel is doing the same, I changed all 4 tires to Michelin and it’s still happening. I had them road forced, no luck. Will be taking it back to the dealership soon.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it's the wheels guys. Could still be tires, but also could be wheels. I posted in the other thread. My truck had exact same issue. I took off the 20x9 factory wheels with Bridgestone tires, installed 18" wheels off a Rebel with Goodyear tires, all my vibration is gone. Truck rolls smooth now. Been driving it for a week or two like this...smooth as glass. Prior to this dealership replaced two tires, also had three different technicians at different shops attempt to balance with no luck.

Eweezy15

Reaction score
Bought a my first Ram in Nov 2020 after having such a great experience with our 2018 Durango GT.

The wheel alignment was way off straight off the lot. It drove perfectly straight but I noticed at about 2k miles that all my tires were feathering. I also had them check for vibration and ride quality at highway speeds. The found all the tires were out of balance. They refused to replace the feathered tires. So now I have a constant hum at highway speeds. Which is really great in a brand new vehicle!

My truck also has a vibration that comes and goes from the rear end at highway speeds. I don’t feel the vibration in the steering wheel when it happens. I tried adding 500lbs of water softener salt in the back thinking it might be an empty truck bed thing since this is my first Full size truck, but it didn’t change anything. It’s been back to the dealer a few times and they can never reproduce it.

I also have a hard downshift when coming to stop. It feels like it is slamming into gear. I actually checked the spare tire to make sure it was tight. Again the dealer couldn’t reproduce it.

Anyone have these issues? Has anyone gotten similar issue resolved?

The truck is great except for those few things. In my 45 mile drive I can get 28mpg, mostly highway driving. Averaging 24 hwy/city most of the time.
Bought a my first Ram in Nov 2020 after having such a great experience with our 2018 Durango GT.

The wheel alignment was way off straight off the lot. It drove perfectly straight but I noticed at about 2k miles that all my tires were feathering. I also had them check for vibration and ride quality at highway speeds. The found all the tires were out of balance. They refused to replace the feathered tires. So now I have a constant hum at highway speeds. Which is really great in a brand new vehicle!

My truck also has a vibration that comes and goes from the rear end at highway speeds. I don’t feel the vibration in the steering wheel when it happens. I tried adding 500lbs of water softener salt in the back thinking it might be an empty truck bed thing since this is my first Full size truck, but it didn’t change anything. It’s been back to the dealer a few times and they can never reproduce it.

I also have a hard downshift when coming to stop. It feels like it is slamming into gear. I actually checked the spare tire to make sure it was tight. Again the dealer couldn’t reproduce it.

Anyone have these issues? Has anyone gotten similar issue resolved?

The truck is great except for those few things. In my 45 mile drive I can get 28mpg, mostly highway driving. Averaging 24 hwy/city most of the time.
I’m having the same vibration issues, did you get it resolved?

Eweezy15

Reaction score
I think it's the wheels guys. Could still be tires, but also could be wheels. I posted in the other thread. My truck had exact same issue. I took off the 20x9 factory wheels with Bridgestone tires, installed 18" wheels off a Rebel with Goodyear tires, all my vibration is gone. Truck rolls smooth now. Been driving it for a week or two like this...smooth as glass. Prior to this dealership replaced two tires, also had three different technicians at different shops attempt to balance with no luck.
Thanks, I’d hate to get rid of my ‘22’s but I may have too.

jimbotron

Reaction score
I had the vibration issues almost the whole time I've owned the truck. I had them balanced maybe 5 separate times, and even had the wheels replaced. I finally replaced the stock Goodyear Eagles at 21k miles with Michelin Defenders and the vibrations are totally gone.

Eweezy15

Reaction score
noticed the same thing with my 20 limited. i have about 9k miles on it and noticed the vibration yesterday. never felt it before but it was very apparent yesterday.
the suggestion to rotate the tires above is a good idea. i'll do that today.
I believe it the rear axle that’s causing the vibration, rotating the tires will do nothing. I read on other threads about the same “wobble” and unfortunately no one has gotten their truck fixed.

jimbotron

Reaction score
My 21 limited ecodiesel is doing the same, I changed all 4 tires to Michelin and it’s still happening. I had them road forced, no luck. Will be taking it back to the dealership soon.
mine ended up being the junk goodyear eagle tires that came with the truck. i'd rotate the tires, get them rebalanced every few K miles, and the issues just kept coming back.

i ended up getting the michelin defender tires and so far haven't had a single issue. no vibration whatsoever at any speeds.

i ended up replacing the eagles with about 20k on the truck. ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online