5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear end sway

knightwolf007

Reaction score
Howdy folks. New to Ram, owned a 2010 Raptor prior to picking up 21 rebel. I have standard suspension (not air). This is only the 2nd truck I've owned, so not sure if its normal or not, but at highway speeds, making small turn corrections; the rear just feels a bit "swayee", almost as if a little bit of trailer sway side to side (as in a towing reference). I don't know how to describe it, but it definitely feels different compared to my Raptor. Raptor has leafsprings and we of course, have full coils. I did notice a sway bar on the rear end. Just seems to wiggle a bit more than I am used to. Am I being paranoid or is this normal and I'll just get used to it being different suspension set up?

Thanks!

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're not crazy - noticed the same thing in my 2020 Rebel. Was not used it to so it definitely caught my attention. I found that recommended PSI helped a lot. Now I don't notice it much.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
In addition to the Hellwig throw on some Bilsteins in the rear, the OEM Chrysler shock is very soft. I could compress the OEMs by hand, but needed the jack to compress and install the Bilsteins

knightwolf007

Reaction score
dont these already have Bilsteins all around? I cannot do any lift to my truck right now as my garage height is limiting. Once I move i do plan on putting on a 2.5 lift/level from Falchon. Never really liked Bilsteins and not sure why everyone sticks with them. I'll then slap on 35's. Want to keep the front end slightly lower because I do tow. Maybe at the same time ill look into upgrading the sway bar. I'm very concerned with the back end sway when towing; last thing I want is a less stable tow and the trailer swaying more than usual. Almost everything Ive read, the rebel tows like a dream.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
dont these already have Bilsteins all around? I cannot do any lift to my truck right now as my garage height is limiting. Once I move i do plan on putting on a 2.5 lift/level from Falchon. Never really liked Bilsteins and not sure why everyone sticks with them. I'll then slap on 35's. Want to keep the front end slightly lower because I do tow. Maybe at the same time ill look into upgrading the sway bar. I'm very concerned with the back end sway when towing; last thing I want is a less stable tow and the trailer swaying more than usual. Almost everything Ive read, the rebel tows like a dream.
Correct, the rebel comes with bilsteins. The hellwig and beefier end links will eliminate 90% of your sway. Try bumping up your air pressure as well.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ill check the PSI. I assumed correct PSI when the truck was delivered to me new 2 weeks ago.
I had to adjust mine after delivery and it never occurred to me until reading this forum. Made a big difference so I run 55 front and 45 back. Just took it in for a tire rotation and reminded them to check the air pressure because they run different front to back...yeah we will...get the truck back and feels bouncy again...tire gauge shows exactly that they did NOT readjust. Dummies. LOL!

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Those paper thin P rated tires can cause that too, they have a ton of sidewall flex.

This is the correct answer. Sway Bars help with body roll, not side to side movement like soft sidewalls. My Z06 on drag radials feels the same way, very unsettling and it has a huge *** rear sway bar

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is the correct answer. Sway Bars help with body roll, not side to side movement like soft sidewalls. My Z06 on drag radials feels the same way, very unsettling and it has a huge *** rear sway bar
As stated earlier though, rebels have E rated stock tires, much heavier ply tires than P rated.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its not the rating, it's the height of the sidewall, its going to have more lateral movement than a 45 or 55 tire
If not running a high enough PSI I would tend to agree. This is why you won't find many 34 or 35" tires with a lower than D or E load rating in order to compensate for more sidewall and towing.

I truly believe if the OP airs up to 45-50psi he will feel a significant reduction in sway. Hellwig will not hurt but only help......more roll = more sway.

Users who are viewing this thread