5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear end not centered?

OgTaco

Reaction score
I have the Max Trac 2’ 4’ drop on my ram. Recently installed billets on the truck. Noticed the driver side poked out more than the passenger side. Raceline told me to measure the wheels from the center to make sure they didn’t mess up when making the wheels. All checked out well, I guess now we have to find out why it’s sitting this way. Pictures below
b7dab3aae8cb2e5279b47283474e1ae2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
604f779b58663dfdf64c60275728f4f2.jpg

RAMVW

Reaction score
Did you change the track bar? If you changed the height of the truck without changing the track bar this can happen. Might need an adjustable track bar. This happened to me when I replaced the track bar on a Jeep Cherokee XJ. The Jeep had the Up Country suspension, which sat slightly higher than stock. I installed a track bar for the standared suspension and the axle was then off center......

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Yep, what he said ^^^^

It's simple geometry. A is the height difference between the axle and the upper track bar mount and B is the horizontal distance between the two ends of track bar, and C is the hypotenuse which is the track bar. If A gets smaller and C remains the same, then B has to grow. And when yours grew, it pushed the axle to the side. If you had lifted the truck, the other side would be sticking out. Buy an adjustable track bar

BowDown

Reaction score
Did you change the track bar? If you changed the height of the truck without changing the track bar this can happen. Might need an adjustable track bar. This happened to me when I replaced the track bar on a Jeep Cherokee XJ. The Jeep had the Up Country suspension, which sat slightly higher than stock. I installed a track bar for the standared suspension and the axle was then off center......

This. If you are changing your ride height dramatically you'll need an adjustable track or panhard bar. Personally, I think the watts link is better than both as an adjustable track bar only keeps the axle centered at the desired ride height but still allows movement horizontally in both directions on up and down movements whereas a watts link keeps it centered through the suspension travel

maxresdefault.jpg

OgTaco

Reaction score

This helped a lot! Thank you!

OgTaco

Reaction score
Yep, what he said ^^^^

It's simple geometry. A is the height difference between the axle and the upper track bar mount and B is the horizontal distance between the two ends of track bar, and C is the hypotenuse which is the track bar. If A gets smaller and C remains the same, then B has to grow. And when yours grew, it pushed the axle to the side. If you had lifted the truck, the other side would be sticking out. Buy an adjustable track bar

Got it thank you! Can this cause the front to camber as well? Should I get adjustable track bars for front and rear. I’ve had the truck aligned twice and the front driver side has some camber.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Got it thank you! Can this cause the front to camber as well? Should I get adjustable track bars for front and rear. I’ve had the truck aligned twice and the front driver side has some camber.

No. Because the front isn't a straight axle. There are eccentrics to adjust caster & camber. See the attached file. And if you need more adjustment than they can provide, there are aftermarket adjustable ball joints.

Attachments

• 02 - Front Suspension_Wheel Alignment_Standard Procedure ALIGNMENT.pdf
    158.1 KB · Views: 25

BowDown

Reaction score

Lowering the truck can impact camber specifically if its lowered to the point that the built in camber adjustability can't overcome the amount of negative camber the lowering kit created. How did you lower, drop spindles and coils or just coils?

OgTaco

Reaction score
Lowering the truck can impact camber specifically if its lowered to the point that the built in camber adjustability can't overcome the amount of negative camber the lowering kit created. How did you lower, drop spindles and coils or just coils?

Just the struts to bring it down 2 inches. Used the Max Trac lowering kit

BowDown

Reaction score
Just the struts to bring it down 2 inches. Used the Max Trac lowering kit

Your camber should have been adjusted after the install, if excessive camber cannot be adjusted out then you'll need some type of aftermarket camber adjustment ball joints or more shims

sd2134

Reaction score
I have the Max Trac 2’ 4’ drop on my ram. Recently installed billets on the truck. Noticed the driver side poked out more than the passenger side. Raceline told me to measure the wheels from the center to make sure they didn’t mess up when making the wheels. All checked out well, I guess now we have to find out why it’s sitting this way. Pictures below
b7dab3aae8cb2e5279b47283474e1ae2.jpg

604f779b58663dfdf64c60275728f4f2.jpg
Did your kit have all of these components? This is the MaxTrac Suspension K332724 kit, it includes the track bar (panhard bar) relocation bracket shown in the center of the photo. The kit also include shorter sway bay end links.
1626043253588.png

Users who are viewing this thread