5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear end bump

jjbrooks3283

Reaction score
I have a 2019 ram 1500 classic STL LWB quad cab. Has roughly 35,000 miles. Not long after I bought it (March 2020) , I started noticing a a “bump” in the rear end when stopping and the rear end comes back down after the stop. Happens again when you let off the break right before hitting the accelerator. Kind of like there is slack . Doesn’t happen every single time but a lot . I took it in before the warrant went out and the dealership said it was the carrier bearing and it was back ordered and my truck was in the shop for like a month they said they had to replace the carrier bearing and the drive shaft as one. Symptoms stopped after, that was in October 2020, about a month ago I noticed it started doing it again, took it back to the dealership and they claim they checked the cv joints and the carrier bearing again and all is fine. But it is definitely doing the same thing as last time ? Anyone else encounter this issue ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 2019 ram 1500 classic STL LWB quad cab. Has roughly 35,000 miles. Not long after I bought it (March 2020) , I started noticing a a “bump” in the rear end when stopping and the rear end comes back down after the stop. Happens again when you let off the break right before hitting the accelerator. Kind of like there is slack . Doesn’t happen every single time but a lot . I took it in before the warrant went out and the dealership said it was the carrier bearing and it was back ordered and my truck was in the shop for like a month they said they had to replace the carrier bearing and the drive shaft as one. Symptoms stopped after, that was in October 2020, about a month ago I noticed it started doing it again, took it back to the dealership and they claim they checked the cv joints and the carrier bearing again and all is fine. But it is definitely doing the same thing as last time ? Anyone else encounter this issue ?

Welcome to the forum . I have not experienced that at all but maybe someone else on here has .

ChryslerVette

Reaction score

Do you have a tow hitch receiver installed back there? If so, remove it and see if the sound returns.

79 300

Reaction score
Your truck is a 4th gen since it is a Ram classic. The 4th gen Rams were known to have a "bump" when coming to a stop if the gas tank was not full. I previously had a 2013 Ram and it did it, and back then the Ram forums were full of posts on the matter. It is caused by the fuel sloshing front in the tank, and a full tank stops that. It really won't hurt anything.

jjbrooks3283

Reaction score
Your truck is a 4th gen since it is a Ram classic. The 4th gen Rams were known to have a "bump" when coming to a stop if the gas tank was not full. I previously had a 2013 Ram and it did it, and back then the Ram forums were full of posts on the matter. It is caused by the fuel sloshing front in the tank, and a full tank stops that. It really won't hurt anything.

The funny thing is when they replaced te carrier bearing it stopped completely for a few months and it just now started back, I haven’t filled the tank up since I bought it

jjbrooks3283

Reaction score
It also has a bump when you let off the brake to go, before you even hit the accelerator

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It also has a bump when you let off the brake to go, before you even hit the accelerator

That bump you feel when you take your foot off the accelerator could be the rear section of the sliding driveshaft sticking. I had that issue with my 2014 and after greasing the driveshaft the problem went completely away.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 053719 miles.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2020 does it. I took the driveshaft out, took it apart and used PTFE driveshaft specific grease. The bump was gone about 1000 miles. It’s now back.

kingrandee24

Reaction score

I have a 2016 Ram 1500. I bought it with 14,000 miles on it and I have experienced this from day one. It is so annoying I almost took it back. I took it to the dealer and they said they checked the transmission and rear ended and it was all good. I have 74,000 miles and it’s still there.

Please tell me you figured it out!!!

Users who are viewing this thread