5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear door fit

SynAckuL

Reaction score
I was washing the truck the other day, and noticed that both rear doors are jutting out on the very bottom back of the door, near the curve. One side juts out about 1/3". The tops of the doors seem to lean slightly inwards.

The dealer and I checked several (6+) new 1500s on the lot, and over half had the bottom rear of the door jutting out so that you could see the rubber seal. They declined to adjust the doors.

Has anyone else noticed this? I'll post some pics tomorrow when it's light outside.

Creep0321

Reaction score
I have this issue on mine but haven’t been to the dealer yet....

j517

Reaction score
They all do bed is out of alignment also check it

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Lights_out

Reaction score
Yep, my rear doors are the same way. Noticed it upon inspection when I went to pick up the truck (long distance, did deal over the phone). I've had bunches of FCA products over the years, I just chalked it up as "par for the course". Love the vehicles but like with any brand there's certain things you have to learn to live with. Fit and finish is it for FCA.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would agree with this statement that the fit and finish of the doors of Dodge and Ram are one of the weak points, but it has done a great improvement with the design of the doors being inside the body shell instead of over the roof line. I think with a slight adjustment of the door strike this won't be as noticeable. I think it is a T50 or T45 bit for the adjustment.

SynAckuL

Reaction score
I went to another dealer in the area, inspected about 15 x 2019 Ram 1500's and none of them that we saw had the door alignment problem. I went to pick up my truck since it was getting a new transmission and once again implored the service people to fix the doors. This would be about the third time I've tried to tell them it's just not right. One tech had the audacity to tell me it was for "aerodynamics". After talking with the service manager, they told me that they couldn't fix it there, but they had a body shop that could take a look at it.

I'll tell you this, within 5 minutes at the body shop, not only did they tell me they could fix it in about 30 minutes, but it was the best service I've experienced yet from any Dodge affiliated store/shop. I think because in this case, the body shop was owned by Toyota, but both the Toyota and the Dodge dealership in my area are owned by the same entity.

So I made an appointment and took it in today. The doors were perfectly aligned when I left, and they even buffed out a small section that someone had scraped but didn't get through the clear coat, for FREE. The door alignment was charged back to the dealership. The body shop advised that the hinges are adjustable. So if your doors are out of whack, see about taking them in to get adjusted.

I just don't understand why it took three separate complaints about the doors for them to finally tell me they had a body shop that could take a look at it... Maybe they just wanted to stop my bitching.

Last edited:

Txy

Reaction score
Is it quieter in the cab after they adjusted your doors? There's a lot of people on YouTube talking about how quiet it is in the cab, but I didn't think it was that much better than any other truck I've been in.

SynAckuL

Reaction score
Is it quieter in the cab after they adjusted your doors? There's a lot of people on YouTube talking about how quiet it is in the cab, but I didn't think it was that much better than any other truck I've been in.

I don't notice any difference.

Barney556180

Reaction score
After reading the posts, I checked my Laramie and found the same issue; corners not flush and uneven rear vertical gap.

Did an unscientific check at the dealer and found four out of 24 (about 17 percent) that were nice and flush. All the rest featured the door corner kick outs...

gmab

Reaction score
My rear driver door is not quite flush. I carefully checked it when I took delivery but after driving 1k miles it has gone out of whack.
I wonder how the body shop adjusted your doors. I wouldn't mind doing it myself.

SynAckuL

Reaction score
They said it was a simple adjustment of the hinges. I barely had time to sit down before they were done.

Socmat23

Reaction score
I have this same issue on my driver side. It looks as though the driver door is out almost 3/16” on the lower half, and the driver side rear looks like it is in almost 3/8”. I haven’t had any noticeable noise in the cab from it. I was actually just commenting the other day about how big the crew can is and you can have a normal conversation with people in the back!

Users who are viewing this thread