5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear differential

BigD

Reaction score
I just noticed by build sheet says conventional differential. Is this bad ? What's the difference between this & LSD ? E locker ? I mainly drive on roads but need my truck for the snow as I live in MN.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I just noticed by build sheet says conventional differential. Is this bad ? What's the difference between this & LSD ? E locker ? I mainly drive on roads but need my truck for the snow as I live in MN.
Conventional would be an open diff.
Since you have a lots of snow and wet roads in your area, then anti-slip (LSD) is the better option and the best all around in my opinion. Automatic and nothing to engage manually, it just works. Other folks can chime in and share the benefits of an e-locker as well. I don’t hardcore off-road that much, so in my case I don’t need it.

Cheers,

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nowadays with all the technology many vehicles now implement an "e-diff." Essentially they apply the brake on the wheel that's spinning to help transfer the torque to the opposite wheel. Certainly not as good as a true LSD and the delay before it engages can be noticeable, it certainly was in my BMW.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Bighorned

Reaction score
ive noticed too even with my 3.21's I do get both wheels going in the winter or on loose dirt sometimes. Prob just the trac control or something. who knows.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
ive noticed too even with my 3.21's I do get both wheels going in the winter or on loose dirt sometimes. Prob just the trac control or something. who knows.
More than likely you have an anti-slip diff. That’s why.

slauso

Reaction score
I live in Canada. My buddy has a cabin with a difficult block road to it. My 2017 limited had the limited slip rear axle. i found the truck would slip sideways while trying to back a dble sled trailer into a parking spot with the road covered in snow. My 2019 Longhorn with the off road pkge( e locker) works perfect. No side slip at all doing the same backing of the sled trailer. The parking area road is on an angle hence the side slip with the 2017

Users who are viewing this thread