5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear differential gear lube?

Glenn54

Reaction score
Has anyone used Valvoline or Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube in their differential? I have a 2019 2wd. I do tow with it some. Mopar lube is a fair amount more expensive so curious if others have tried these brands or other brands.

2020Big4x4Horn

Reaction score
Ran the mobil in my 3rd gen. 75w90 I believe. Never an issue. Too soon for me to look into my 5th gen.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Based on the multiple reports of low filled rear diffs, I'm going to change my rear diff next week. I'll use Mobil 1 75w90, just like I did with the 2007 Hemi. (It'll give me the assurance it's correctly filled, AND it'll drain out the swarf and any other break-in contaminants.)

I have nothing against Valvoline: I've just used Mobil 1 and never been let down.

(Edited to add: I just caught that this is a in the Hemi thread, and I've got the baby diesel. My 75w90 is spec'ed for my 3.21 diff. The 3.92 should use 75w140, FWIW.)

Last edited:

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I typically run Amsoil Severe Gear in the appropriate weight (whatever it says in the manual). In this case, I don't want to change the rear diff. completely after only 7500 miles, so I bought 1 quart of the Mopar stuff and will just add to it if its low. I have not towed with this truck yet, and if I do, its "towing" someone out of a ditch in the winter, or pulling a light (500-ish lbs) single axle flat bed trailer to the dump once a year with a load of stuff that is too big for the trash bins.

One nice thing is that Ram finally switched to full synthetic gear oil. Even in the late 4th gens (not sure about Ram Classics) it was regular stuff.

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
Just hit 30k I'm going to change front and rear this week before a long road trip up north and back as early preventative maintenance. Going with the appropriate weight of Amsoil Severe gear. Make sure when you do this you add the friction additive if required for your application.

PapaMap

Reaction score
Hey guys . This is the only feed I found about the rear end. I have the 2019 bighorn 1500 4x4 with the 5.7 and the 3.2 gear. I turned off traction control when doing some doughnuts . And there is a metal on metal noise its loud and sound like its comming from rear end . All stock except upgrading to goodyear wrangler duratrac tires . Any ideas. Thanks

PapaMap

Reaction score
Hey guys . This is the only feed I found about the rear end. I have the 2019 bighorn 1500 4x4 with the 5.7 and the 3.2 gear. I turned off traction control when doing some doughnuts . And there is a metal on metal noise its loud and sound like its comming from rear end . All stock except upgrading to goodyear wrangler duratrac tires . Any ideas. Thanks
Also I'm at 42k miles

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would avoid telling the dealership you were doing donuts when you bring it in for warranty work, just a thought. Donuts put A LOT of stress into the diff, best case scenario is you just toasted the fluid. Worst case is you need a new rear end.

PapaMap

Reaction score
I would avoid telling the dealership you were doing donuts when you bring it in for warranty work, just a thought. Donuts put A LOT of stress into the diff, best case scenario is you just toasted the fluid. Worst case is you need a new rear end.
Yea. I'll never tell. Every thing is fine when not doing it . They dont probably consider doughnuts normal driving conditions. But the kids love it

Users who are viewing this thread