5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear defroster question

Dave L

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn DT. So I've recently noticed my rear defroster is not working. The light on switch lights and mirrors defrost is working. My question is where are the connections so I can see if the connectors are plugged in tight and test to see if there is power. I can not see these connections. Are they behind the trim on side where seat belt connects or behind seat. Any help is appreciated.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn DT. So I've recently noticed my rear defroster is not working. The light on switch lights and mirrors defrost is working. My question is where are the connections so I can see if the connectors are plugged in tight and test to see if there is power. I can not see these connections. Are they behind the trim on side where seat belt connects or behind seat. Any help is appreciated.
They are on the lower right and left hand sides of the back glass, behind the rear trim.
For an example, this is on the drivers side. broken defroster connection.jpg

Dave L

Reaction score
Thanks for that but how do I access that connection? What trim piece am I removing to get to that. Thank you.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for that but how do I access that connection? What trim piece am I removing to get to that. Thank you.
You need to remove the rear seats and pull back the trim in the corners, no need to remove it completely. Them seat bolts are on tight BTW.

Dave L

Reaction score
I can do things myself thank you. I was just reaching out to see if there was another way without removing rear seats before removing things that would be unnecessary. Thank you kapinallinen. I'd imagine bolts are on tight. What happened to easy access? Not these days lol. Got to get an inverted torx socket now. Thanks again

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's a workout, I've had to remove my rear seats twice. Some of the bolts fought me the whole way, they are covered in blue loctite

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can do things myself thank you. I was just reaching out to see if there was another way without removing rear seats before removing things that would be unnecessary. Thank you kapinallinen. I'd imagine bolts are on tight. What happened to easy access? Not these days lol. Got to get an inverted torx socket now. Thanks again
takes less then 15 minutes to get the rear seats out. a simple 1/2 ratchet and sockets get the seats out. You don't need torx sockets, 12 point sockets will work if you don't have torx sockets.

Dave L

Reaction score
Ok so I've found the problem to my rear defroster situation. The left side tab is not attached to window. I've seen the permatex repair kit as an option but wondering if there is other methods of repairing this other than replacing whole window? Thanks

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok so I've found the problem to my rear defroster situation. The left side tab is not attached to window. I've seen the permatex repair kit as an option but wondering if there is other methods of repairing this other than replacing whole window? Thanks
Get some conductive adhesive and glue it back on.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Mopar-Rock

Reaction score
I have the same issue...purchased thermal glue. stupid question is do I put glue over the conductors as well as the sides of the piece to keep it on place?

tempImage4AJo5x.jpg

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My plan is to carefully sand off the crappy solder and apply the silver epoxy to the contact area.
No point wasting it in areas where there is no current flow, the stuff is not cheap.

Ty Matheny

Reaction score
My 2019 Laramie rear defrost is only working on the passenger side. The slider and driver's side are not. All connectors are visibly in place on the windows with no visual defect and all feel sturdy. Also, both mirrors defrost fine. Any suggestions?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My 2019 Laramie rear defrost is only working on the passenger side. The slider and driver's side are not. All connectors are visibly in place on the windows with no visual defect and all feel sturdy. Also, both mirrors defrost fine. Any suggestions?
I mean only logical next step would be to confirm voltage is coming into it?
I guess I would poke a tiny hole into the cables\wires and use a multimeter and then seal them up after.
If you get no voltage, have fun. If there is voltage it would likely be a bad connection or whatever happens on the device that sticks to the window is busted. Neither is very ideal.

Zacritz929

Reaction score
I have the same exact issue and working on diagnosing why. I'll keep you posted if I find anything out

Zacritz929

Reaction score
Just found the same issue on mine today. Any update?
Yea, the button like terminals for the defroster came off the glass on the driver side. I was able to resolder some of the connections and get the driver side to work but couldn't get the connection for the slider to stick so the center window doesn't defrost. Overall it seems like a poor design

kjaminet22

Reaction score
Yea, the button like terminals for the defroster came off the glass on the driver side. I was able to resolder some of the connections and get the driver side to work but couldn't get the connection for the slider to stick so the center window doesn't defrost. Overall it seems like a poor design
Well shoot, I was able to squeeze my hand in to check both sides including the middle and all 3 feel connected. Maybe they just aren't making a good connection? Mine only works on the driver's side not the center or passenger.

Zacritz929

Reaction score
Well shoot, I was able to squeeze my hand in to check both sides including the middle and all 3 feel connected. Maybe they just aren't making a good connection? Mine only works on the driver's side not the center or passenger.
Likely not making a good connection

Users who are viewing this thread