5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear defrost not working

foxm1013

Reaction score
I have 2020 bighorn which had the rear glass replaced about two years ago. after which the rear frost worked fine, now with mornings starting to get colder it seems that it has stopped working. The fuse is fine and the light in the button stays on. I also have heated mirrors and though I believe they are working im not 100% sure as they haven’t been all that fogged as of yet.

Anyone have any suggestions?

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have 2020 bighorn which had the rear glass replaced about two years ago. after which the rear frost worked fine, now with mornings starting to get colder it seems that it has stopped working. The fuse is fine and the light in the button stays on. I also have heated mirrors and though I believe they are working im not 100% sure as they haven’t been all that fogged as of yet.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Could be a failed solder connection at one of the "snap buttons" connecting the wires to the glass.

Attachments

• IMGP7312 1600 snap connectors.jpg
    IMGP7312 1600 snap connectors.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 135

Ratchet

Reaction score
As stated above, most likely it's between the defroster tab and the glass. Had exact same issue with mine. Simple repair, but a special adhesive with a high metallic content is required.

foxm1013

Reaction score
this is definitely my issue, checked an both sides were snapped off. Can they be resoldered on or should i just use the adhesive?

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just resolder. Sand the contact with some fine grit paper and clean with contact cleaner. Try to replace as much of the old solder off the button as you can, solder wick or compressed air. Then just lightly hold the button with needle nose pliers and apply soldering iron.

Been hearing a lot about this lately. No one else has mentioned if it was the original window. Wondering if these joints are getting weakened by replacement or just replacement contacts aren't as robust.

strat41986

Reaction score
this is definitely my issue, checked an both sides were snapped off. Can they be resoldered on or should i just use the adhesive?
Had the same thing happen to mine. Auto zone or any auto parts store will have a "defrost repair kit." It comes with a conductive adhesive. Just follow the instructions to reattach the contact point to the piece that attaches to the glass.

Rando

Reaction score
Had the same thing happen to mine. Auto zone or any auto parts store will have a "defrost repair kit." It comes with a conductive adhesive. Just follow the instructions to reattach the contact point to the piece that attaches to the glass.
Hopefully you’re still around the site. My rear defroster stop after window replacement.

Did the repair work for you?

How did you gain access to the connector? Does it require seat removal?

I appreciate any guidance you might have.
Thanks!

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully you’re still around the site. My rear defroster stop after window replacement.

Did the repair work for you?

How did you gain access to the connector? Does it require seat removal?

I appreciate any guidance you might have.
Thanks!
If it stopped working right after replacement, take it back and let them figure it out.

Rando

Reaction score
If it stopped working right after replacement, take it back and let them figure it out.
Well I don’t really know when it stopped working. Window was replaced back in February can’t recall if I used the defroster after that. Noticed it wasn’t working recently. Honestly, if the fix isn’t overly complicated I’d rather do it myself.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well I don’t really know when it stopped working. Window was replaced back in February can’t recall if I used the defroster after that. Noticed it wasn’t working recently. Honestly, if the fix isn’t overly complicated I’d rather do it myself.
Oh. OK.

foxm1013

Reaction score
My home fix has worked and continued to work since i made this thread. Not too difficult if you take your time and have someone that can help with the seats.

TasteeWheat

Reaction score
@foxm1013 What was your final "home fix" solution? Did you go with resoldering, adhesive, or the "defroster repair kit" mentioned above?

Users who are viewing this thread