5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear Center Drop Down Arm Rest Issue

rick_od

Reaction score
So i bought my Laraime used a month ago. The rear seat center arm rest just pulls down, always has. What i mean it, there is a teather to unlatch the center arm rest but in my case, you can just grab the arm rest and pull it down. For a while i thought thats the way it was and that it didnt latch. But today i finally got out a flashlight and realize that it is supposed to latch. It seems like a return spring popped off or something because the teather doesnt pull back in when i let go of it, so i want to take a closer look. The top portion of the arm rest around the cup holders looks like it will just pop off as it its held in with plastic clip retainers things. But i dont want to break any plastic especially since its only 30* right now.
Any ideas? Thanks!

RAMRhode

Reaction score
I think your armrest is to spec and not broken. Mine operates in the same manner and appears to be just a friction fit on the latch.

rick_od

Reaction score
I think your armrest is to spec and not broken. Mine operates in the same manner and appears to be just a friction fit on the latch.

Open the arm rest and look inside where the teather is. You will clearly see a latch in there (that would latch on the pin on the rear right seat). Mine happens to be closed. If it were to be a friction fit, why have a pin and latch at all?

RAMRhode

Reaction score
Open the arm rest and look inside where the teather is. You will clearly see a latch in there (that would latch on the pin on the rear right seat). Mine happens to be closed. If it were to be a friction fit, why have a pin and latch at all?
You are right...I mis-read your statement of just pulling the arm rest down. I just pulled off my cover. Open the storage cover in the armrest first. Then pull up around the edges Of the plastic trim. There is an aluminum pinion that seems to be attached to the tether and opens the catch when pulled. There is a wrapped spring around the catch.
Someone on here may have a schematic of the console. Or you can download the schematics from TechAuthority.com. Different payment options from 1 day to a year.

rick_od

Reaction score
You are right...I mis-read your statement of just pulling the arm rest down. I just pulled off my cover. Open the storage cover in the armrest first. Then pull up around the edges Of the plastic trim. There is an aluminum pinion that seems to be attached to the tether and opens the catch when pulled. There is a wrapped spring around the catch.
Someone on here may have a schematic of the console. Or you can download the schematics from TechAuthority.com. Different payment options from 1 day to a year.

sorry, i guess i wasnt that clear with my original post.

so i lower the center seat, then drop the arm rest down and just pull the plastic off? at that point, only the top (back of drop down) of the console is plastic. i was able to pull the plastic free around the cup holders but the rest was giving me more resistance so i stopped and posted here. do i just pull it all off? there are no screws? its just plastic retaining clips holding it all together?
thanks!

RAMRhode

Reaction score
sorry, i guess i wasnt that clear with my original post.

so i lower the center seat, then drop the arm rest down and just pull the plastic off? at that point, only the top (back of drop down) of the console is plastic. i was able to pull the plastic free around the cup holders but the rest was giving me more resistance so i stopped and posted here. do i just pull it all off? there are no screws? its just plastic retaining clips holding it all together?
thanks!
2nd pic shows the storage lid raised. 1st pic shows plastic removed. Only held by retainer clips. I used my fingers around the edge, but you could use A trim removal tool. In fact you will need one to remove the fender clips holding on the leather wrap.
191B38AE-BF0A-45FE-AA93-4C615490CDDF.jpeg F590842A-D699-441E-B652-13F204A3F82D.jpeg

rick_od

Reaction score
2nd pic shows the storage lid raised. 1st pic shows plastic removed. Only held by retainer clips. I used my fingers around the edge, but you could use A trim removal tool. In fact you will need one to remove the fender clips holding on the leather wrap.
View attachment 39931 View attachment 39930

Excellent, thanks.
I was able to pull the clips on the front around the cup holders but the rest gave me some resistance and since it was around 30* i didnt want to snap any plastic.
I will take a look at mine this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread