5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear Cab Wall Vent's

ny2az

Reaction score
just got around to stuffing the sub-enclosure for a tighter bass in the 2021 Ram 1500 Limited ... saw the 2 vents located there on the rear cab wall ... l had seen them before when l did the same sub-enclosure upgrade on the 2020 Ram .. when driving around l do hear road noise coming from the back somewhere but couldn't figure out where it was coming from ... especially before when l had a set of noisy tires ... sounded like l had a window or door slightly open ... so l'm thinking this is where the road noise was coming from ... so l went ahead and sealed one vent completely and one vent 3/4 sealed so the cab can still breath ... buttoned everything up and yes, ... quieter interior, no road noise from the back seat area ... road noise definitely was coming from these vents ... anyone have any opinions on sealing the vents like this ... thx

Attachments

• 20210210_140300.jpg
    20210210_140300.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 158
  • 20210210_140310.jpg
    20210210_140310.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Could theoretically over pressure the cab and damage seals and or glass.

Bigtone

Reaction score
just got around to stuffing the sub-enclosure for a tighter bass ... saw the 2 vents located there on the rear cab wall ... driving around l do hear road noise coming from the back somewhere ... couldn't figure out where ... so l'm thinking this is where the road noise comes from ... so l went ahead and sealed one vent completely and one vent 3/4 sealed so the cab can still breath ... buttoned everything up and yes, ... quiter interior ... road noise definitely was coming from these vents ... anyone have any opinionson sealing the vents like this ... thx
What year is yours? When I had my 2019 I noticed more road noise than my 2014 with the seat folded up. Turns out there was a period of a few months where they stopped installing the seal between the cab and box at the factory. There is a tech note out covering this. Dealer will install for free.

Last edited:

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
that l can see ... will it have any effect on the air conditioning or heating system ...
l did leave one vent slightly open ... hopefully this would help with the over pressure ...
Without recirc mode on, yes, because the blower won't be able to push nearly as much air. Think about it. You left open 1/8 of what was designed for airflow purposes. If the cab didn't ideally need that much, the engineers wouldn't have made the vents that large, nor made 2 of them.

My sound deadening technique was to load the back wall up with open-cell sound dampening foam pieces. Helps some, but air can still get through. I have no complaints about road noise and I'm generally pretty sensitive to things like that. Other members have fashioned their own vent covers/baffles to dampen and redirect the sound that would otherwise come straight at the cab from the vents. There was also a revision mid 2019 which added a sheet of what appears to be mass loaded vinyl to the rear carpet to further reduce road noise.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Made a little baffle box with a cut out in the bottom and stuffed with a microfiber towel, then covered it all with Dynamat

2.jpg

1.jpg

It was super quiet, like weird quiet, but air could not escape the cab. Any fan speed above 3 caved in your ear drums and air blew out of the door seals. I removed the microfiber towels and opened up the cut out a bit, still very quiet but much more air flow. I get the occasional whistle from the door seal at 75ish if the fan is on 4

ny2az

Reaction score
Made a little baffle box with a cut out in the bottom and stuffed with a microfiber towel, then covered it all with Dynamat

View attachment 82622

View attachment 82623

It was super quiet, like weird quiet, but air could not escape the cab. Any fan speed above 3 caved in your ear drums and air blew out of the door seals. I removed the microfiber towels and opened up the cut out a bit, still very quiet but much more air flow. I get the occasional whistle from the door seal at 75ish if the fan is on 4
yes,...l found out the hard way what all were saying ... went to place the fan speed on hi and barely heard the fan ... as soon as l opened the window it went into hi speed ... closed window ... barely any fan ... so l went back and opened the vents and made a custom box as you did... same result ... barely any venting ... so to hopefully still get rid of some road noise ... left one vent open and the other with the custom box ... all back to normal as far as airflow venting ... still quieter than without any mods... so lm happy for now ...

Last edited:

Dustydodge

Reaction score

View attachment 82622

View attachment 82623

I have big dust issues with my 2019 sport so the dealer decided they should block the vents now the whistling in my cab would drive you nuts plus if your airbags ever go off they could possibly do ear damage and I would tend to think they may not deploy properly because the air cannot be displaced

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have big dust issues with my 2019 sport so the dealer decided they should block the vents now the whistling in my cab would drive you nuts plus if your airbags ever go off they could possibly do ear damage and I would tend to think they may not deploy properly because the air cannot be displaced
I suspect you're correct about the airbags. It's obvious that for normal operation, we could get away with one small vent. But when designing a system, you need to take into account the worse case scenario. In this case it would be both airbags deploying with all windows intact. If there isn't enough venting to allow air out of the cab, the things you mentioned are the likely results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online