5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear breaking traction in rain

Lize

Reaction score
The back wheels break traction and put the truck sideways at practically every corner after its rained. Quite good fun but on narrow busy roads it can be a bit startling and I've seen one or two people in cars looking quite worried!

Appreciate roads are slippy in summer after rain but never had a vehicle that does this all the time including ones with more off road focused tyres.
Running at 55/45 pressures in 2WD, 4WD does stop it from happening but I don't want to keep selecting that every time it rains.

Is it just that the Duratracs are rubbish or could there be something wrong?
Would a Hellwig sway bar on tightest setting help any?

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, with the sway bar tightened and the anti-slip tendencies of the locking differential, you're going to have to practice slow cornering in slippery conditions. Nature of the beast, I'm afraid. If you want less excitement, a Laramie with an open differential and 3:21 gears would be more satisfying.

Lize

Reaction score
So, with the sway bar tightened and the anti-slip tendencies of the locking differential, you're going to have to practice slow cornering in slippery conditions.
Haven't got a Hellwig, its something I've been debating and couldn't decide whether it would improve or not, perhaps not bother!

I like excitement but it is like constant drifting after rain, will see how it does in winter when roads are less greasy. My Raptor used to do the same but only very occasionally and definitely not on minor turns.

Some weight in the rear end would probably help hold the tires onto the pavement.
Bed is pretty full but fairly light weight gear, mainly paint and stuff at the moment. Reminds me of the old Ford Capri days when we used to put a paving slab in the boot :D

Yes, the obvious answer is to slow down a bit, but I didn't think I am that heavy on the gas, I get 12mpg mixed driving so maybe I am a bit keen :unsure:

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
….in the boot! Ah, love it. It's like watching the television show, Wheeler Dealers! (y)

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had the tires spin a couple times during/after some rain... but only when I've been little too sudden on the accelerator from a stop or low speeds. I'm a bit nervous about what it will be like this winter here in coastal Massachusetts where it will hover around freezing, go from rain to snow and back to rain, and road conditions will vary from town to town. 4-Auto would sure be helpful. I also realize the Rebel's set up is how trucks were for decades... somehow they managed.;)

On a more positive note, we went out to the beach again yesterday and drove on the sand for over 4 miles before I realized we were still in 2-Hi.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The back wheels break traction and put the truck sideways at practically every corner after its rained. Quite good fun but on narrow busy roads it can be a bit startling and I've seen one or two people in cars looking quite worried!

Appreciate roads are slippy in summer after rain but never had a vehicle that does this all the time including ones with more off road focused tyres.
Running at 55/45 pressures in 2WD, 4WD does stop it from happening but I don't want to keep selecting that every time it rains.

Is it just that the Duratracs are rubbish or could there be something wrong?
Would a Hellwig sway bar on tightest setting help any?
Combination of light rear end and less aggressive tire tread. I have noticed same issues with my 22" Goodyear OEM tires. (Plus I am not use to such a large engine with the accompanying torque) Just have to learn to give it a little less throttle when the roads are slick. Don't believe a Hellwig will solve this problem. Cheers!

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Correct, a Hellwig will not do anything for this issue. One thing that will however, is a Pedal Commander (or similar) but instead up increasing the throttle input, put it in Eco mode where it further decreases throttle vs. stock. That will definitely keep you from spinning the tires as much, and especially on turns from a start.
Either that or really practice your light foot.

WasatchBack

Reaction score
It's a rear drive vehicle with a big front weight bias and crappy OE rubber, yes tires will spin if you don't know how to modulate throttle properly. Ridge Grapplers break way less than OE but will still break loose relatively easily unless you focus on driving smoothly. Took me 2000 miles to adjust from 4wd sports cars to a rear drive truck.

Lize

Reaction score
My Maloo is RWD with 6.2 LSA with similar light rear/weight distribution, making 525hp, everybody thinks that should be rear wheel happy but it generally doesn’t break away unless you are really trying. That’s all in the 20” low profile tyres though.

The Ram does it just setting off normally in traffic which seems mad, think I just need to be less quick and heavy on the gas given the tires and turn pedal commander down from sport setting. It’s certainly very different than my Raptor was.

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
When it first starts raining mine will break traction at times but the stability control won't let it get sideways. If it's been raining awhile and the roads aren't as greasy then it doesn't do it as often.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As someone who has owned many trucks with street tires and then lifted with AT tires, I can tell you it's primarily the tyres. They are All-Terrain, designed to grip loose dirt, they work well on tarmac assuming it's dry, but not ideal on wet smooth roads.

Switching to a more street oriented tread pattern tire will make a huge difference with slick wet roads.

The KO2s that came stock with your Raptor are slightly more street oriented than the Duratracs, quieter too. But I recommend even more street oriented 33" tires like the Michelin Defender LTX M/S, which is available in the stock size for the Rebel. But the trade-off is a less "burly" looking tire, but quite a bit more comfortable, quiet and better in the rain.

So it depends on your driving which tire will be right for you. Or you could buy another set of wheels/tires for especially raining British months and keep your stockers for the rest of the year, though it pretty much rains all the time in your area.

Last edited:

Lize

Reaction score
Since I turned down the pedal commander its much more controllable for when on small roads and in heavy traffic.
Or you could buy another set of wheels/tires for especially raining British months and keep your stockers for the rest of the year, though it pretty much rains all the time in your area.
Indeed, may as well not bother with a summer set :LOL:

Ram19Va

Reaction score
On stock Rebel tires, I have been in a tornadic storm with torrential downpours going 75 mph w/o issue. Mine handles like a dream in the rain, unless its a really deep puddle.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
On stock Rebel tires, I have been in a tornadic storm with torrential downpours going 75 mph w/o issue. Mine handles like a dream in the rain, unless its a really deep puddle.

I think the issue is taking a corner, like a freeway on-ramp or off-ramp, or a roundabout, not driving in a straight line. AT tires simply don't grip as well under side load on a smooth wet surface.

Rogues Gambit

Reaction score
Correct, a Hellwig will not do anything for this issue. One thing that will however, is a Pedal Commander (or similar) but instead up increasing the throttle input, put it in Eco mode where it further decreases throttle vs. stock. That will definitely keep you from spinning the tires as much, and especially on turns from a start.
Either that or really practice your light foot.

That said, I love my Hellwig and also the Bwoody endlinks to boot, I really play with it around corners now

Curious, whats a good AT replacement for both rain and snow

Users who are viewing this thread