5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear brakes....man I wish I would read more up front

NevadaSkier

Reaction score
Well I screwed the pooch and activated brake service mode with the calipers off and fully extended the piston on one side. But also, I couldn't get the rotor off the passenger side. Does anyone have any advise on how to compress the piston now that I screwed the pooch? Also, the passenger side rotor was stuck, making me wonder if the parking brake also ended up actuated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As I understand it, Brake Service Mode is supposed to retract the parking brake. If you activated this after removing the calipers, you had to be in the truck since it is accessed via the center screen. Is it possible you just activated the parking brake instead? What you describe sounds like what might happen if the brake pedal was pushed while engaging the parking brake. If that is the case, I would think you could just use a C clamp to compress the piston (leave the clamp on), and disengage the parking parking brake to continue.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure what kind of damage is caused but you might have to replace the caliber?

CAUTION: If the Electric Park Brake (EPB) switch is actuated with the caliper removed from the caliper bracket and still connected electrically, the EPB motor will fully extend causing damage to the caliper piston. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable. If equipped with an Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS), disconnect the IBS connector first before disconnecting the negative battery cable.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It happens, remove the brake line and caliper then you’ll be able to reinstall and compress the piston back in (be careful removing and reinstalling the seal),Of course you’ll wanna bleed that line afterwards. Service parking brake message might appear afterwards but just drive around your neighborhood at a snail pace engaging and disengaging it and it’ll eventually stop at least from my experience when I helped a buddy with his brake job when it got hectic.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It happens, remove the brake line and caliper then you’ll be able to reinstall and compress the piston back in (be careful removing and reinstalling the seal),Of course you’ll wanna bleed that line afterwards. Service parking brake message might appear afterwards but just drive around your neighborhood at a snail pace engaging and disengaging it and it’ll eventually stop at least from my experience when I helped a buddy with his brake job when it got hectic.
Also the brake pedal needs to be pushed and held in one inch with a "pedal holder" stops the reservoir from draining while the brake line is disconnected.

Users who are viewing this thread