5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear brakes at 99,000km (62,000 miles)

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will be replacing the rear brake pads and rotors this week on my 2020 Rebel, the pads are almost completely worn out, the front brakes are still good for a long time, the pads appear to be near 50%. Impressive!

Bought the pads and rotors from Amazon.ca, the rotors have a silver coating and I’m hoping it will keep them from rusting for a while, I will be applying a rust proofing wax film on the visible side (not where the pads run), the rotors are massive compared to my previous 2011 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman.

I would like to know at what of mileage have you guys replaced your brakes on your 5th generation Rams? Has anyone ordered from Amazon?

Attachments

• FBD7E300-C1FE-4011-8468-34F918E3E5A0.png
    FBD7E300-C1FE-4011-8468-34F918E3E5A0.png
    379.6 KB · Views: 25

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm almost at 60k miles and haven't replaced either set of brakes. That silver coating will get rubbed off immediately by the brakes, so you'll get rust where the pads touch. Agree with the Powerstop or R1 Concepts. I'll be getting R1's whenever I need brakes/rotors. Ran those on my Titan for 100k miles.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm almost at 60k miles and haven't replaced either set of brakes. That silver coating will get rubbed off immediately by the brakes, so you'll get rust where the pads touch. Agree with the Powerstop or R1 Concepts. I'll be getting R1's whenever I need brakes/rotors. Ran those on my Titan for 100k miles.
I’ll be doing the same in a few. Not sure if u want to gamble on getting drilled and slotted though. I e ran them on a dedicated track car and a few daily drivers and no issues or rust but I’m not sure how they’ll hold up in a big a** truck?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ll be doing the same in a few. Not sure if u want to gamble on getting drilled and slotted though. I e ran them on a dedicated track car and a few daily drivers and no issues or rust but I’m not sure how they’ll hold up in a big a** truck?
I had slotted on my Titan, but I can't seem to find just the slotted anymore. Seen guys run drilled and slotted on half tons before. Some cracked them, but I find it hard to believe that would happen with "normal" daily driving.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Should have went with power stop or r1 concepts
The R1 Concepts rotors are made from the same grade of G3000 gray cast iron as the Max Advantage rotors that I bought, the R1 are $403 because of the slots and drilled holes, I paid $236 with the 10% discount.

I will keep track of the mileage my truck gets with the new brakes. Time will tell.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Attachments

• 7C8A199A-7A7B-4A54-B054-75CB4AC279E8.png
    7C8A199A-7A7B-4A54-B054-75CB4AC279E8.png
    353.7 KB · Views: 11

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am at 82K miles.
Rear pads have about 25-30 percent life left on them. Fronts will probably go to 200K.
Guy at truck central on YT just serviced his brakes at 230 thousand miles.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Replaced my rear brake pads and rotors on Monday, the bottom calliper guide pin was seized on each side, the pads would have lasted longer if the pins weren’t seized, it causes uneven wear, mostly on the piston side. The top pins were still well lubricated and free, I had to use a propane torch to un seize the bottom pins, it took a lot of effort to pull the pins out after they were freed, they would turn but not pull out, I had to use a pair of vise grip pliers, a hammer and more heat to get them out, the pins have a rubber sleeve that was destroyed after the heat and hammering, the rubber seals for the pins were also destroyed so I bought a calliper pin seal kit which comes with 4 pin seals and 2 rubber sleeves. I sanded the pins and the bores where the pins go and applied anti seize before putting it back together.

I think that there was no lubricant on the pins right from the assembly line, my truck is the newest of all the vehicles that I have done, the brake pins were not seized on all the older vehicles that I have done, a 2017 Hyundai, 2018 Ford Edge, 2011 Ram and a few Caravans.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I will be replacing the rear brake pads and rotors this week on my 2020 Rebel, the pads are almost completely worn out, the front brakes are still good for a long time, the pads appear to be near 50%. Impressive!

Bought the pads and rotors from Amazon.ca, the rotors have a silver coating and I’m hoping it will keep them from rusting for a while, I will be applying a rust proofing wax film on the visible side (not where the pads run), the rotors are massive compared to my previous 2011 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman.

I would like to know at what of mileage have you guys replaced your brakes on your 5th generation Rams? Has anyone ordered from Amazon?
Hopefully you don't put much wax on the rotor. You know the whole thing will get plenty hot enough to melt wax and have it run like penetrating oil.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hopefully you don't put much wax on the rotor. You know the whole thing will get plenty hot enough to melt wax and have it run like penetrating oil.
Your right, I used the brand LPS #3 rust inhibitor, I had also sprayed it on the original rotors and on the calliper body and had no issues, it keeps it looking new longer, the wax will turn black after a while but the main reason is that they will not show rust. First picture is the rear wheel with new brakes/rotor, the second is the front wheel, original brakes, rotors and callipers, 4 years old, very little rust. I live in Northern Ontario Canada where the winters are long and the roads are extremely salted.

Attachments

• CD7AFE6C-65F3-4050-9AE6-DF642AF983C8.jpeg
    CD7AFE6C-65F3-4050-9AE6-DF642AF983C8.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 693D13EA-2027-4E3D-A23A-3E31B290339F.jpeg
    693D13EA-2027-4E3D-A23A-3E31B290339F.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 8

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Replaced my rear brake pads and rotors on Monday, the bottom calliper guide pin was seized on each side, the pads would have lasted longer if the pins weren’t seized, it causes uneven wear, mostly on the piston side.

That explains why the rear brakes wore faster than the front. Typically, rear brakes will last 2-3 times longer than the front as most of the braking force will be at the front.

Driver

Reaction score
I replaced my rear brakes after 80k road miles. Don't know about seized pins or not, but I was metal on metal at that point. Front brakes still good.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That explains why the rear brakes wore faster than the front. Typically, rear brakes will last 2-3 times longer than the front as most of the braking force will be at the front.
The front rotors are bigger in diameter, has double piston callipers and larger pads, so they now last longer than the rear.

Users who are viewing this thread