5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear Brake moan

mbm2191

Reaction score
2020 ram 1500 big horn 5.7(non etorque)

I've had this truck for about a year and love it but this noise is driving me crazy.

I first noticed it when I got the truck last year. A mechanic buddy of mine when I asked him to look at it, he thought it was the sway bar links and bushing being a little dry he sprayed them with some kind of lube. And the noise disappeared without a trace for almost a year.

It came back I asked him again, he said that I should probably replace the bushings and links so I did. The noise stayed. Then I stumbled upon a couple of videos and few posts on this forum about this moan kit and I was very optimistic and excited to finally have a fix for this God awful noise, because my next thought was possibly some kind of bearing in the rear but it was only happening at low speeds and while turning in forward and reverse so I was very hesitant about that.

So I am out of the bumper to bumper warranty as I have about 50k on the truck so I ordered it and was planning on installing on my own.

Fast forward to yesterday I had my truck up on the lift at a friend's place to do a quick oil change and I just peaked at the rear and this kit has already been installed!!!!!! Must have been done by the previous owner. I did buy it certified pre-owned from a dealer near me.

I'm at my witts end with this noise. It's embarrassing and very annoying. And it happens to my truck all the time. Unlike others that have posted for me it doesn't matter if it's wet, dry, cold, warm, sat for a few days without moving, it will produce the noise eveytime guaranteed.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a solution? I would really appreciate any and all advice at this point.

Thanks

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Many people think all the noises are fixed with that kit. I attached another tsb for brake noise. There are also reports of the brake pads/rotors causing the noise. My prev 2 trucks had all sorts of noises when backing up and braking, my fix was to back into my driveway 😂

Attachments

• brake.pdf
    29 KB · Views: 14

mbm2191

Reaction score
Yeah I saw that one too. Idk what to do. I want bash my head against the ground honestly

Rebel2022

Reaction score
My 2022 does this in reverse as well, has since it was new. Dealer says none of the tsb’s are for my truck so even thought it does everything described in the tsb’s they won’t deal with it. It’s a lease and I won’t be keeping it so I really don’t care anyway.

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
2020 ram 1500 big horn 5.7(non etorque)

I've had this truck for about a year and love it but this noise is driving me crazy.

I first noticed it when I got the truck last year. A mechanic buddy of mine when I asked him to look at it, he thought it was the sway bar links and bushing being a little dry he sprayed them with some kind of lube. And the noise disappeared without a trace for almost a year.

It came back I asked him again, he said that I should probably replace the bushings and links so I did. The noise stayed. Then I stumbled upon a couple of videos and few posts on this forum about this moan kit and I was very optimistic and excited to finally have a fix for this God awful noise, because my next thought was possibly some kind of bearing in the rear but it was only happening at low speeds and while turning in forward and reverse so I was very hesitant about that.

So I am out of the bumper to bumper warranty as I have about 50k on the truck so I ordered it and was planning on installing on my own.

Fast forward to yesterday I had my truck up on the lift at a friend's place to do a quick oil change and I just peaked at the rear and this kit has already been installed!!!!!! Must have been done by the previous owner. I did buy it certified pre-owned from a dealer near me.

I'm at my witts end with this noise. It's embarrassing and very annoying. And it happens to my truck all the time. Unlike others that have posted for me it doesn't matter if it's wet, dry, cold, warm, sat for a few days without moving, it will produce the noise eveytime guaranteed.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a solution? I would really appreciate any and all advice at this point.

Thanks
Could be the caliper slides need lubricant/ servicing. I too have had this annoying noise on back up only and on damp or rainy days. I was thinking of chamfering the front end of the pads, so as when the rotors are in reverse they aren’t contacting a sharp square edge and possibly causing that noise. Or, maybe the factory pads are crap and some better ceramic pads would resolve it.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine’s done this since new (before and after the TSB was performed). It’s hit-or-miss for me on whether it’s loud (after it’s rained) or less so. I also get a light squeal when hot (Texas hot) and braking with light to moderate pressure. Super light or heavy braking doesn’t do it. So I have both the rear brake moan (sometimes) and maybe a light glazing on the front. It’s just that neither have been quite bad enough to do anything about them…yet.

Users who are viewing this thread