5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear brake assist ever scare the **** out of you?

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
The first time it happened, I assumed I did something that set it off...maybe too close to a curb or something. Nope! It has done it on random areas with just a hint of slope. Yes, it makes you think you just ran over a body! Scares the total sh#tola out of me! Can hardly wait for it to happen while I have passengers in the truck . C’mon Ram, surely y’all can do better.

U can turn it off in the Uconnect under Rear Brake Assist settings.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup. The day after I bought my truck. Went to my friends house with a steep driveway. It's been turned off since. It locked the truck down. Literally could not back down it. Had to toggle the rear sensors to get down it. It's a great idea but I'd rather just pay attention when reversing vs letting the truck help me out. With the camera and sensors I feel safe enough.

Hell, I live in the middle of a field and if my grass gets to high it'll set off the sensors lol!

RubyRam

Reaction score
Just turn off the auto braking for reversing in the settings. I turned it off on mine because it scared the **** outta me multiple times for no reason. Between the camera and the backup sensors I can manage without the truck freaking out over some leaves. Plus you have blindspot and cross path detection so you really dont need the auto brake.
How do you turn off auto brake just for "reversing"? I only see one option for "Auto Brake" that is for Forward and Reverse?

ClancyO

Reaction score
Mine scared me twice. The third time it saved me in a parking lot... Rain/slush really mess it up, so I’m moving to Vegas.

Techguy2000

Reaction score
My coworker thought I slammed into his 1 day old Lexus when I was backing in next to it and the shadows in the parking garage triggered the braking. He got awfully upset at me for a moment... lol

Rambunktious

Reaction score
It's happened twice to me. First time was in a level parking lot, backing into empty parking space. No cars in other spaces and well over 20 feet from curb. I thought I had failed to turn shift knob all the way to reverse and destroyed the transmission. All I could think of was how pissed my wife was gonna be. :ROFLMAO: Second time was backing into sloped driveway. Once it happened I knew exactly what it was and didn't freak me out as much. Technically happened a third time but I was backing into parking space in garage and was trying to get as close to wall as possible. It was kind of nice knowing the truck would stop me millimeters from wall. :)

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
This happened on day one and I immediately turned all my parking sensors off. Don’t need em.

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i turned my front and back sensors off since 2nd week of aug 2019 ..no regrets so far

Olive Green 5.7

Reaction score
Yep! On like day 3 of owning the truck. I had remembered seeing an option to disable this in the screen but left it on. Well....first time I was trying to back into a parking spot and the truck gave me whiplash by slamming on the brakes I promptly turned that $h!t off. Hahahaha

Smooth sailing ever since.

RSZ

Reaction score
It's happened a couple times where it slams on the brakes for no reason while reversing. Just yesterday it slammed on the brakes while reversing into my driveway. Weird thing is, I reverse into my driveway everyday and it's only done it a couple times. Not sure what exactly sets it off. Yesterday it was raining and there were leaves on the ground, not sure if that might have something to do with it.

It does seem if it is sensing something somewhere behind the truck, the faster you reverse the more likely it will slam on the brakes. The couple times it has done it the sensors were already screaming while reversing.

Wsmith

Reaction score
Does your truck ever slam on the brakes for no f'in reason whatsoever when you are backing out of a parking spot? Once again, my dealer refuses to look at it unless it does it every time. My service advisor said "well, yea, isn't it supposed to slam on the brakes?"....I said yea...WHEN THERE IS ACTUALLY SOMETHING IN THE WAY!...lol. Dude was an ***.

Anyway, I wiped the light dust off the rear sensors and it hasn't done it again. I explained to the service advisor that I'm concerned it will do this while going down the road at 70mpg and end up causing an accident.

Anyone have experience w/ this issue? This is on a 20 Limited.
Yes, gives me palpitations.

flyfingers

Reaction score
I've yet to own a 5th gen but rented one for a couple weeks in Montana last year. We were fishing along the bank of the property we were staying at and parked in the tall grass facing in toward a tree. Come time to leave we put it in reverse and the thing wouldn't budge. Must've got out 10 times trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Friggin grass was preventing us from backing up. Might've had a soda or two which certainly didn't help matters but definitely helped lighten the mood. Never the less, after renting Chevys, Fords, and Dodge trucks for past 20 yrs up there, the 5th gen Ram is the clear standout winner. It has some quirks but still the best overall of the big 3.

alow

Reaction score
I turn mine off until I get near a parking spot. I dont run the front or the rear for fear of it locking up on me while I'm out and about. Works just fine at the parking space though. My rear trips when I tow and am backing a trailer. Tons of fun if I forget to turn it off.

Burnzie

Reaction score
Ever try and backup with the tailgate down? Won't happen unless you turn it off. Not looking forward to this winter, when rear bumper is full of snow and I try backing up.

Reaction score
Turned mine off after first incident, backing up on flat road nothing behind me and next thing i know i am in the back seat :)
Too old for that my heart almost blew

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Never had a problem with the front or rear sensors, although I hear the warning going off once when I go through the car wash.

The brakes have only come on when backing and the first few times it upset my heart rate. When it does occur it has always been backing against a rise in the grade, when a person is running across my path, or when cars zoom past me in a parking lot. I've since adjusted to this type of event with far less reaction. I do leave it on, however, because it has actually saved me a number of times when it could've been serious.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 041599 miles.

Reactions: RSZ

Stonefly

Reaction score
Yes it has on a few occasions but also saved the wife from backing up in my sons car so left it on. I haven’t tried the settings within the rear brake assist. The default is Med, would it make a difference if it was set to near? I would try it but won’t be home for a few more weeks.

Arth

Reaction score
First thing I turned off when I purchased my 2021. Hate that. Freaks out when I am backing into the garage which is a tight fit.

Users who are viewing this thread