5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear brake assist ever scare the **** out of you?

M3Master

Reaction score
Does your truck ever slam on the brakes for no f'in reason whatsoever when you are backing out of a parking spot? Once again, my dealer refuses to look at it unless it does it every time. My service advisor said "well, yea, isn't it supposed to slam on the brakes?"....I said yea...WHEN THERE IS ACTUALLY SOMETHING IN THE WAY!...lol. Dude was an ***.

Anyway, I wiped the light dust off the rear sensors and it hasn't done it again. I explained to the service advisor that I'm concerned it will do this while going down the road at 70mpg and end up causing an accident.

Anyone have experience w/ this issue? This is on a 20 Limited.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think it will only do that when you're in reverse. So if you're going forward, the rear sensors don't do anything.

But in any case, I find both the front and rear sensors to be a little glitchy, they can't tell the difference between a 2 ton car in the way vs a few leafs on the edge of a bush, or a bit of snow that falls off my hood etc. I now drive around with both of them permanently disabled.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does your truck ever slam on the brakes for no f'in reason whatsoever when you are backing out of a parking spot? Once again, my dealer refuses to look at it unless it does it every time. My service advisor said "well, yea, isn't it supposed to slam on the brakes?"....I said yea...WHEN THERE IS ACTUALLY SOMETHING IN THE WAY!...lol. Dude was an ***.

Anyway, I wiped the light dust off the rear sensors and it hasn't done it again. I explained to the service advisor that I'm concerned it will do this while going down the road at 70mpg and end up causing an accident.

Just turn off the auto braking for reversing in the settings. I turned it off on mine because it scared the **** outta me multiple times for no reason. Between the camera and the backup sensors I can manage without the truck freaking out over some leaves. Plus you have blindspot and cross path detection so you really dont need the auto brake.

Han Ridge

Reaction score
It has gone off only once were I thought it should not have but it has saved me from damage on two other occasions.

Rhombus

Reaction score
Mine did it on the test drive. Thought I’d hit something. I’ve turned it off. Scared the $#*&@) out of me.

Stevenc150

Reaction score

It happened to me once and only once before I turned it off...i mean we have a backup cam, side mirrors, sensors beeping all around AND a surround Cam...turn that focker off ;)

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A ton of people have had the same "issue". It's just that the sensor is way too sensitive. Do like 99% of us on here have done and turn the braking off, but leave the sensors on. If/when you trailer you can easily turn the sensors off with the toggle switch.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine has done it backing up, but I leave it on due to the amount of children always playing on the sidewalk around my house. The front sensor on the other hand scared the hell out of me while driving 60 mph on the highway while approaching an underpass. Beeps went into full alarm mode and my screen had BRAKE!! on the red screen. I about shat myself. My understanding is at that speed it would not hit the brakes, but it still scared me enough to turn off the front sensor

Cravenfan

Reaction score
I have not seen the front sensor freak out due to shadows, but my wife's 2019 Pilot occasionally does this and my 2015 GMC also sometimes did. I have turned the rear sensor off, when backing into my tight garage, it freaks out. I've seen other posts of folks who keep it on, just go super slow and it never brakes on them. My front has never given me more than a warning beep.

My first test drive of a Ram, I was with my daughter and pulled onto a dirt road to turn around. The sun was directly behind us and the lip of the road was about 3" high. I tried 3x to back up, with the thing wailing at me and making that horrific noise, braking and leaving skid marks. I finally figured it out and flipped the switch off and drove back to the dealership. :eek:

Given the beep alerts, rear camera and all, I turn my rear sensor off with the toggle switch.

On a different note, a while back, my dad and his buddy were hunting in remote parts of Northern Maine in his pickup truck. They were just cruising along, chatting, checking for game and he had flipped the mirror up. His buddy thought he saw something, so dad proceeded to put it in reverse and back up, without looking behind them. Whump, they hit something... they both turn around and there was another pickup, right on his bumper, following them through the woods! How he didn't know someone was behind him, I'm not sure. (There may have been some, "road sodas" involved.) Anyway, there was quite a heated discussion, then cooler heads prevailed. :ROFLMAO:

So, not sure what the moral of the story was, but when in doubt, leave the safety features on, especially if you are a distracted driver, or have pets, or small kids...

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Turned off auto braking after it slammed on the brakes pulling out of a slightly graded driveway. Sensors are a little over sensitive imo.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
this happened to me on my way home from the dealer from picking my truck up. had a two hour drive ahead of me and stopped at wawa for lunch. slammed on the breaks twice as i backed into a parking spot. made an a$$ outta myself and thought i had whiplash. i turned that feature off then and there and never looked back lol

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
I have had it thrice. One for no reason, 2 for valid reason but I could have done without the assistance. I still have it on, who knows when I have a senior moment and hopefully the brake assist would save my ****. Literally

Str8Cracker

Reaction score
My driveway has slight slope and after I had the TSB applied a few weeks ago, I’ve been able to turn it back on and have never had the issue since. Hopeful the problem is permanently corrected.

M3Master

Reaction score
My driveway has slight slope and after I had the TSB applied a few weeks ago, I’ve been able to turn it back on and have never had the issue since. Hopeful the problem is permanently corrected.
What year is your truck? Do you have the TSB number handy?

Bear217

Reaction score
Yes happened to me a couple times for no reason then I just shut it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ldoh

Reaction score
It's probably the worst sound in the cab ever. It should be on FCA's short list for refinement.

Btolar1968

Reaction score
The first time it happened, I assumed I did something that set it off...maybe too close to a curb or something. Nope! It has done it on random areas with just a hint of slope. Yes, it makes you think you just ran over a body! Scares the total sh#tola out of me! Can hardly wait for it to happen while I have passengers in the truck . C’mon Ram, surely y’all can do better.

Users who are viewing this thread