5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear axle paint chipping and Rusting away

Blackout

Reaction score
Fellow Ram owners, brought home my brand new 2019 Ram 1500 Classic, to find the rear axle rusting to **** due to paint chipping off, and it has never seen snow.
Went back to dealership and looked under all the other Classic models and they all had the same problem, but not the Rebels or diesel models.
Would have never bought it if I was smart enough to look under the truck.
Reminds me of a full factory recall of Toyoto Tacoma years ago, where it was not painted with primer from the factory, and axles were rusting and falling off.

You cant tell me this is not a **** up from assembly line!?

Are we going to make enough complaints for factory to do recall or what?

Attachments

• 20190823_180337.jpg
    20190823_180337.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 146
  • 20190823_180337.jpg
    20190823_180337.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 20190823_180244.jpg
    20190823_180244.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 146

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fellow Ram owners, brought home my brand new 2019 Ram 1500 Classic, to find the rear axle rusting to **** due to paint chipping off, and it has never seen snow.
Went back to dealership and looked under all the other Classic models and they all had the same problem, but not the Rebels or diesel models.
Would have never bought it if I was smart enough to look under the truck.
Reminds me of a full factory recall of Toyoto Tacoma years ago, where it was not painted with primer from the factory, and axles were rusting and falling off.

You can't tell me this is not a **** up from assembly line!?

Are we going to make enough complaints for factory to do recall or what?
Unfortunately, corrosion on the underside of a vehicle is not grounds for a recall; it must be safety related. I'll have to crawl under mine and see what it looks like. However, your pictures sure look like there was some sort of salt exposure; either road salt or beach/water salt. Maybe, it was driven in the salt before you bought it. Or maybe, because it is a Classic; it is equipped with some "old-new stock" parts.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't see a recall happening over that. If it were me, I'd hit that with some Rustoleum and call it done. For the price of one can, that would easily cover my time, gas, and frustration of dealing with a dealer and no telling what they might do/mess up.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Although it's unsightly, no amount of rust in your entire lifetime is going to impede the operation of the rear axle. Determining when the vehicle was delivered to the dealer might provide some insight. It looks like your vehicle sat around for a while, and/or delivered in inclement weather.

Trying to remember, but my two 4th gens (2010 had an American Axle; 2014 had a ZF) had a touch of rust on them when I took delivery, but I don't recall it looking like yours.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 021097 miles.

R

Rob5589

Not an issue. It is common for drivetrain components, as well as other components underneath, to develop surface rust. If it concerns you that much, power wash the under carriage and spray with Rust-Oleum. Be aware, if you live where the roads are salted it will be an every year ordeal.

Blackout

Reaction score
Not an issue. It is common for drivetrain components, as well as other components underneath, to develop surface rust. If it concerns you that much, power wash the under carriage and spray with Rust-Oleum. Be aware, if you live where the roads are salted it will be an every year ordeal.
Yea I take real good care of my trucks, Krown every single year. My 2014 Ram has zero rust and to see my new truck this way is ****ed

Blackout

Reaction score
Unfortunately, corrosion on the underside of a vehicle is not grounds for a recall; it must be safety related. I'll have to crawl under mine and see what it looks like. However, your pictures sure look like there was some sort of salt exposure; either road salt or beach/water salt. Maybe, it was driven in the salt before you bought it. Or maybe, because it is a Classic; it is equipped with some "old-new stock" parts.
Have you seen video of those Tacomas fold in half as rusted axle breaks off?

R

Rob5589

A 9.25 Chrysler diff is no Toyota stamped housing. Like I said, if it is that concerning, clean it up and paint it. Or try and make the dealer take care of it. I can tell you that there is no chance of it rusting through and collapsing. Well, maybe in a hundred years.

whetrick1

Reaction score

Yes like Rob 5589 said get you some black rustolleum and paint it. But clean it where the paint will adhere to it real good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

geotex1

Reaction score
Rustoleum has its place, but not on the diff IMO. It's no more durable than what the diff is coated with from FCA's supplier. I live in PA where road salt and brine is measure in dosing of POUNDS per square inch, so I'm a little biased maybe. However, what I found is that Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator is the easiest tool in the toolbox here. Get a can of the aerosol prep too to make it super simple. Hose the spot with the prep, wipe it, hose it again and let dry. Apply Encapsulator as per directions. You won't worry about it again for years unless you offroad where the brush will scrub it off. Your other choice, if you're really going over the top, it to follow the POR15 regiment to the letter!

Monteman1971

Reaction score
I think they had even a bigger problem with the frames on those trucks as well. A buddy of mine had to have the entire frame replaced by Toyota. So it was more a matter of the bad metal they used. Eventually every vehicle gets a bit of surface rust on the underside so if it bothers you that much and your that particular. Do what I do maybe once a year, clean it up a bit and spray a little Krylon semi gloss on it...keeps it looking factory fresh.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I my 2010 I used a black enamel paint product called Derusto applied with a brush. It lasted three years and with the exception of looking somewhat dirty, never showed rust stains again.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 021103 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread