5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear axle grinding noise

Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4 5.7L e-torque, 3.92 rear end. My first ever serious issue with this truck started happening at 110k miles. I started noticing a high pitched grinding/whining noises from the back sounding almost like badly worn brake pads. A mechanic at my dealership couldn’t pinpoint the issue saying the sound is normal so I bought a “chassis ears” tool on Amazon and quickly figured out the problem. Amazing tool btw. My right side carrier bearing at the diff is making the noise. I will most likely be dropping the truck off at the dealership to overhaul the differential. The quoted me around $1000 in parts (all new bearings and seals) and $1200 in labor (7 hours of work). Not sure if I can trust the dealer though to put it together to factory standards. The other option is to buy a slightly used rear end for between $2k - $3k and swap it out. I still love this truck though. So comfortable and well built. So much more reliable than my previous 2014 Ram eco-diesel which had to have the engine replaced at just under 100k miles and in 4 years I owned it collectively spent about 4 months at the dealership.

Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4 5.7L e-torque, 3.92 rear end. My first ever serious issue with this truck started happening at 110k miles. I started noticing a high pitched grinding/whining noises from the back sounding almost like badly worn brake pads. A mechanic at my dealership couldn’t pinpoint the issue saying the sound is normal so I bought a “chassis ears” tool on Amazon and quickly figured out the problem. Amazing tool btw. My right side carrier bearing at the diff is making the noise. I will most likely be dropping the truck off at the dealership to overhaul the differential. The quoted me around $1000 in parts (all new bearings and seals) and $1200 in labor (7 hours of work). Not sure if I can trust the dealer though to put it together to factory standards. The other option is to buy a slightly used rear end for between $2k - $3k and swap it out. I still love this truck though. So comfortable and well built. So much more reliable than my previous 2014 Ram eco-diesel which had to have the engine replaced at just under 100k miles and in 4 years I owned it collectively spent about 4 months at the dealership.
Wound up buying a barely used rear end for $2300 and swapped it myself. Took me 8 hours to do but still better than paying for a new one at the dealership. I’m trying to give away the one with bad bearing.

AllAmer1719

Reaction score
Interesting. I’m at 115k miles and sounds like mine is gone now. 2020 3.21.

Users who are viewing this thread