5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear axle differential question

Oxbow9

Reaction score
Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question as I do not know much about trucks or autos in general, but can the type of rear axle differential have an affect on the feel of the suspension and/or height of the truck? I have test driven several big horns over the past month or so and some just feel larger and perhaps higher than others. Does not seem to have anything to do with the rim size or tires/pressure, and they have not been equipped with air suspension or lift. I have noticed that those that felt larger had 3.21 gear ratios and the others had 3.92, but would not have thought difference in gear ratio could cause this?

MDBumblebee

Reaction score
Differential shouldn't make any difference in height as far as I know. Are you sure you weren't driving an off road package? They are lifted one inch.

Oxbow9

Reaction score
Differential shouldn't make any difference in height as far as I know. Are you sure you weren't driving an off road package? They are lifted one inch.
Nope, no ORG. Its strange, I have made sure seats and steering wheel are adjusted the same and everything equal that I know of. Some have just seemed to have a bigger "truck feel" than others. Don't know, maybe its just me. I know I prefer the 3.92 to the 3.21 so do hope its not that.

MDBumblebee

Reaction score
I did find on MSN that the 4x4 is 0.4" higher vs 4x2 but I doubt anyone would notice that.

Users who are viewing this thread