5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear 115v outlet issue

BAC15

Reaction score
Hey guys i searched and found no info on my problem. I have a 19 Power Wagon with Laramie trim. The 115 outlet on the rear of the console only works if something is plugged into the 115v on the dash up front. Is this right?

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From what I've read the outlet is dead until you plug something in and then it senses that and connects the inverter output. Is it possible you were only testing the outlet and did not wait long enough for it to sense the load? I could see how if the inverter was already on because of the front load that the rear might be on as well....or the sensing circuit is bad and therefore the outlet only comes on when the front connects the inverter.....just thinking out loud

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad outlet... I think no matter if you plug anything to the rear, when you plug something in the front it will power up both of them... Sounds like the rear outlet can't sense the plug and therefor does not turn this outlet on.

BAC15

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure its a bad outlet as well. I took the front and rear apart to make sure the wiring was all plugged in and not damaged. And it won’t come on with something plugged in no matter how long you wait. Thanks for the ideas guys it helped.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know if yours works like my RamBox outlet, and I haven’t used mine in a while, but I remember having to hit the inverter button (near the parking brake release under the steering wheel) to activate that outlet. But (a) I have a 1500, and (b) I don’t know if my rear seat outlet works the same way.

BAC15

Reaction score
Ok so its fixed for now. I pulled the outlet apart and there is a little white plunger that resides inside the left hand prong. It wasn’t making good enough contact to activate the outlet. I didn’t really do much but mess with it and wiggle all the contact points but it works now. We’ll see for how long.

BAC15

Reaction score
Thanks again for the ideas. Just a side note. When i first got this thing i hooked to my car trailer and grabbed the trailer brake plunger to check my brakes and to my surprise they locked up and stayed that way. I realized the plunger had no spring to return itself. So the dealer installed a new switch for me.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know if yours works like my RamBox outlet, and I haven’t used mine in a while, but I remember having to hit the inverter button (near the parking brake release under the steering wheel) to activate that outlet. But (a) I have a 1500, and (b) I don’t know if my rear seat outlet works the same way.
I don't have an inverter button :oops:

EDIT: oh maybe because I don't have RamBox...

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I haven't used my rear outlet yet, but I have been under the dash a few times. I don't remember ever seeing an inverter button down there. Can you provide a pic of this?

Users who are viewing this thread