5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Really want to buy Ram but need your guys' thoughts

ataman

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I live in MN and need a new truck... our winters can get pretty snowy so I need a relatively high ground clearance. I currently drive a truck with 10" clearance and it seems to just get the job done but it's old/small and needs replacing and I love the look and features of the 5th gen Ram.
I really want to love RAM, but can't seem to find this info anywhere so I figured I'll go directly to the experts here:
  1. What is the Stock 4x4 BigHorn ground clearance, is it really 8.1"? I remember the prior gen was around 10" did they really cut 2" off?
  2. Does the 'off-road package' or a "North Edition" add any additional ground clearance?
I know I can add bigger wheels/tires aftermarket or go with the Rebel from the get-go but I want to stick with the BigHorn stock (stay away from the air suspension/Rebel etc.,) just want to maximize the ground clearance from the factory.

To all who know, PLEASE HELP, I can't find the North Edition or ORG ground clearance info/data anywhere.
Thanks for the help

I can’t answer number one, but for number two, yes the off-road group or north edition will give you 1-inch of additional ground clearance.

All of the RAM trucks will have the same ish ground clearance. The only difference being the tire size.

I just had this discussion with another member. The ground clearance number is taken from two different places. The one that matters is the one at the axle.

The rebel can be had without air suspension. It is not standard anymore.

You can lift a truck all you want...but unless you get larger tires...you gained no ground clearance.

In answer to 1). I just went out and rolled underneath. It's hard to be exact, the way I was positioned and the way the tape was flopping, but it was between 8 and 8¼" under the lowest spot on the front lower control arms, the front skid plate, the rear shock mounts, and the rear differential. So 8.1" is probably correct.

The other thread we discussed this in

Thanks, guys really appreciate the quick reply
So when the call out 21 F150's ground clearance at 9.4", is that a botched number measured from where ever they feel like it, or is it genuinely higher at the control arm, which seems like a substantial difference?

It gives you one inch of lift...but no extra ground clearance from the number he is mentioning.
^^ solid point.
Yup, the Off Road group gives you a 1" lift, but not larger tires, so axles are the same height from the ground.
The tires on the Rebel, on the other hand, are larger (roughly 33" vs 32" on other Rams), so there should be a little extra ground clearance under the axles for those.

It looks like the North Edition package gives you a few more appearance items (like the nicer side mirrors), all weather mats, and a block heater, instead of skid plates like the off road group. The rest of the options (locking rear diff, shocks, etc.) appear to be the same between the two packages. That being said, you could get the Protection Group on top of the North Edition, and that would get you the skid plates.

I didn't go with the locking rear diff due to the speed cut outs. After approximately 25 MPH (unless you're in 4 Low), the computer automatically disengages the locker. If I'm spinning the tires trying to get out of sticky snow, my truck will think its going faster than 25 sometimes, and I don't want to constantly be having to re-engage the locker. I opted for a truck with the Limited Slip for that reason. However, that was just my personal choice; to each their own.

Thanks, guys really appreciate the quick reply
So when the call out 21 F150's ground clearance at 9.4", is that a botched number measured from where ever they feel like it, or is it genuinely higher at the control arm, which seems like a substantial difference?
I doubt its measured to the axle. That being said, the F-150s do look higher than a standard Ram. I have not gotten under one with a tape measure though.

4th gen Rams standard was a little over 9" of ground clearance (stock suspension, stock tires), supposedly, partly because they came with 33" tires from the factory (vs 32" on the 5th gens), if memory serves. So they cut about 1" off for the standard suspension/normal ride height. The Off Road package gives you that back (roughly), except for the axle/tire height.

I say you should just splurge and buy a TRX. Lots of ground clearance there. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back