5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Realistic Lead Time for a New Truck Order During Shutdown

RamVader

Reaction score
I am hoping to get some realistic information from other member here and maybe RamCares can chime in also. I am getting a lot of conflicting information from the dealers on a new truck order. Just to be clear, I am not here to complain, and I understand nobody has a crystal ball to see the future and have all the answers. These are some terrible and crazy times we are in right now. I want to give a big shout out to all the heroes on the front lines getting us all through this. My experience is this. I ordered a new truck from my local dealer on March 2020. I was told I would take delivery of the new truck in 6-8 weeks once the truck goes into production. The factory shut down due to COVID-19 a few days after my order was placed. I called the dealer and I was told that a VIN was created and the truck would be built April 15 and ship April 22. I said great! Then we got extended factory shut downs until May 4. My question is assuming the factory begins production on May 4, how long do you think it is going to take to get the factory up to full production again? My dealer told me it will take only a couple of weeks. I called a couple of other dealers and got different answers from everybody. I happened to talk to the commercial truck manager at one of the dealers I called, and he told me it will take much longer. He used the GM strike as an example. He told me the GM strike lasted approximately 40 plus days and it took 3 months to get the GM factory up to full production again. He also added that this is different than the GM strike because EVERYTHING is shut down worldwide including the companies that make all the components for the factories and it is going to take time for the suppliers to get up and running again also. He told me that he is telling his customers that wanted to order a new truck from the factory would not get delivery until September or October. I am inclined to agree with the commercial truck manager. I am thinking I might have to settle for a 1500 in stock at a dealer that has the closest options from my order if I want it soon and I can take advantage of all of the rebates and incentives going on right now because all of the dealers told me that these incentive and rebates might not be available when the truck arrives because they can only apply available rebates and incentives at the time of delivery. What say you?

chrisfuss

Reaction score
I’d say who knows... I think realistically the factory won’t open up again before June...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That commercial truck manager is probably on the right track, but everyone is just guessing at this point. As he said, not only does the assembly plant need to open, but all the suppliers down the chain need to get up to speed too. May 4 is *so far* the date FCA is shooting for to reopen all US plants, but it may be quite a while before they are truly back up to full production. I know people who work at SHAP (where the 1500 is built). They have 3 crews (A, B, & C). There is talk that A crew will be back May 4, B crew won't be called back for a couple weeks after, and C crew won't be back till possibly June. Again, everyone is speculating. It would be very easy (and very possible) that Michigan's quarantine gets extended. The
situation is fluid. Hang in there.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Big 3 (and UAW) are already starting to sound like May 4 won't happen. Plus a tornado took out and important Borg Warner plant that supplies transfer cases to many high volume pickup & SUV plants-

More bad news for anyone who has a truck on order or wants to order one.
Edit- Michigan's stay at home order was just extended to May 15.

Last edited:

GRB60

Reaction score
Play with the search tool on the Ram site. Unless ylur dream truck is really odd, you should find something close.
I wouldn't be too optimistic about your ordered truck.

Users who are viewing this thread