5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Real world V6 4x4 3.55 eTorque vs V8 4x4 3.21 eTorque MPG

duchunter6

Reaction score
Hi, Carvana damaged my 2020 V6 QC en route, so I'm back to square one, looking for another 1500 to buy.

I'm having a hard time deciding between V6 4x4 3.55 eTorque and V8 4x4 3.21 eTorque. I will definitely be buying one of these two, for my part time, light duty towing needs--no others. All the info I could find on the V6 3.55 MPG is approximate, e.g. "a little worse than 3.21," which is not enough for a true comparison.

I'm an engineer, so the details are important to me, hence my desire to know the exact MPG difference. Does anyone know if a comparison has ever been done between these two powertrain configs? I'd really appreciate it; thank you in advance.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you plan on towing at all id really consider the Hemi. The Pentastar is a little under powered and needs to be revved out to make its power. Also most guys with Pentastars don't get any better mileage than the Hemi.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Go to fuley and check their numbers is the best way to compare MPG. The relatively small number of comparisons here won't give you a very reliable comparison.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's easier to bang in a nail with one smack from a big hammer, rather than a lot of taps from a small one. The gas V6 needs to be thrashed before it generates any power. Also, the Hemi sounds wonderful

Finding an accurate comparison will be difficult based on the various trim configurations, driving habits from person to person, climate/terrain, and fuel quality

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, Carvana damaged my 2020 V6 QC en route, so I'm back to square one, looking for another 1500 to buy.

I'm having a hard time deciding between V6 4x4 3.55 eTorque and V8 4x4 3.21 eTorque. I will definitely be buying one of these two, for my part time, light duty towing needs--no others. All the info I could find on the V6 3.55 MPG is approximate, e.g. "a little worse than 3.21," which is not enough for a true comparison.

I'm an engineer, so the details are important to me, hence my desire to know the exact MPG difference. Does anyone know if a comparison has ever been done between these two powertrain configs? I'd really appreciate it; thank you in advance.
I’ve posted several comparisons over the past three years from Fuelly data, but mostly between eTorque and standard HEMI configurations, as so few V6 trucks are tracking their economy.

duchunter6

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! Unfortunately, Fuelly doesn't list axle ratios, as far as I can tell.

I'm only pulling a 5k travel trailer for an annual summer trip; otherwise 95% of the year it's just regular commuting, so that's why the Hemi feels so "wasteful." But if the 3.55 V6 is much worse than the 3.21's 19/24, then it probably makes sense to get the Hemi eTorque, since that's 17/22. That's why I'm trying to get that elusive 3.55 V6 MPG number.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! Unfortunately, Fuelly doesn't list axle ratios, as far as I can tell.

I'm only pulling a 5k travel trailer for an annual summer trip; otherwise 95% of the year it's just regular commuting, so that's why the Hemi feels so "wasteful." But if the 3.55 V6 is much worse than the 3.21's 19/24, then it probably makes sense to get the Hemi eTorque, since that's 17/22. That's why I'm trying to get that elusive 3.55 V6 MPG number.
I believe all V6-equipped trucks have the 3.55.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are going to be really unhappy pulling a 5k lb travel trailer with the V6 I would think. I have a 5k lb rv fish house that I pulled with a 2019 with the hemi and 3.21 gears. I now pull it with a 2020 with ecodiesel and 3.92 gears. I can definitely feel it back there with both of these set ups. I can’t even imagine trying to pull it with the gas V6

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure what details matter to you but the HEMI will have a much better resale value.

Having an "all-motor" pick-up truck is not going to net you any fuel economy to write home about regardless of powerplant.

Yes, the HEMI drinks more fuel to operate but the Pentastar needs to work harder to produce the same result. In the end the MPG numbers won't be that different.

I'm coming from a diesel F-250 so the HEMI was the only engine I considered.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I pull my trailer I get 10mpg +/-, and averaged about 12 coming down to Arizona in November 2020. I admit that I pull heavier than you are, but I got the same with an '05 Duramax. The weight isn't the biggest issue, the frontal area of the trailer is. The V6 will pull it, but at a huge cost in comfort and economy. You may well overwork the smaller engine to excess. The 5.7 will hardly break a sweat as far as the workload, and the around town /highway mileage when unloaded will be little difference between the two.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Getting the Hemi to pull a 5k travel trailer is not wasteful at all.

Users who are viewing this thread