5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Real world MPGs / What are you averaging?

LakesAZ

Reaction score
Just a theory, but I think setting it to cruise at high speed actually hurts the mpgs.
I believe that setting it to the speed limit, or a bit over, on relatively flat roads will help with MPG. However if it involves hilly roads, the MPG could suffer due to the cruise trying to maintain the speed going uphill. Without cruise on, the average driver would increase their speed in anticipation of going up a hill and then let their speed slowly drop while climbing. Of course you would maintain a reasonable speed up the hill so depending on the grade you might still have to increase the gas which would also drop the tranny a gear or two. Just my thoughts and I have nothing to back it up with except many years of driving.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just a theory, but I think setting it to cruise at high speed actually hurts the mpgs.
Not from what I’ve experienced, but not every ram is identical. I do know that the higher the speed, the worse mpg is because of the greater wind resistance. These trucks punch a big hole in the wind.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's mine after 9,434 miles - 16.6MPG. Last weekend trip, I did manage to squeeze out 24mpg highway, cruise control at 67mph - 90miles trip from NJ to PA on I80. 87octane.

Attachments

• PXL_20220304_160123616.jpg
    PXL_20220304_160123616.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 11

Users who are viewing this thread