5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ready to order my Limited, but have a few questions

SBrentnall

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm about ready to place my order, but have a few questions that I haven't been able to find answers for. Apologies in advance if these have already been answered on this forum and I just couldn't find the threads.
  1. Can the view from an in-trailer camera be displayed on the 12" screen?
    I know there's a wiring prep package, but I'd love to hear that someone has actually done this successfully.

2. Does BLIS on tow mirrors monitor the trailer as well as the truck?
    Assuming I set it up correctly, of course.

3. Can the factory Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover be completely removed easily?

4. How common is the problem of the bed cover flying off due to malfunctioning plastic clips?
    I've read a few accounts of it on this forum, but I'm not sure how common it is.
Thanks for any insight you can offer!

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Number 2 I can answer:

BLIS with Trailer Detection is standard on the ‘21 Limited. It will work so long as you are hooked up conventionally, ie not Gooseneck/5th Wheel.

SBrentnall

Reaction score
Number 2 I can answer:

BLIS with Trailer Detection is standard on the ‘21 Limited. It will work so long as you are hooked up conventionally, ie not Gooseneck/5th Wheel.
Thanks! Is there no way to make it work with a gooseneck? I'll mostly be towing a bumper pull, but will use a gooseneck occasionally.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks! Is there no way to make it work with a gooseneck? I'll mostly be towing a bumper pull, but will use a gooseneck occasionally.
Not that I’m aware of, even on our HD, the BLIS specifically becomes unavailable when it’s selected as the type of trailer and hooked up to our Gooseneck. Maybe someone else might know.

ericd

Reaction score
The cover comes off and can be removed very easily in less than 1 minute. It's very light and one person can lift if off by themselves

kenthelawnguy

Reaction score
The factory tri-fold is very secure when latched and having one on both my 2019 and now my 2021, I have never had it even come close to flying off at any speed.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The cover has 4 clips, so if one breaks my hope is the other 3 will hold until I can remove it safety. It’s lightweight and easily removable

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm about ready to place my order, but have a few questions that I haven't been able to find answers for. Apologies in advance if these have already been answered on this forum and I just couldn't find the threads.
  1. Can the view from an in-trailer camera be displayed on the 12" screen?
    I know there's a wiring prep package, but I'd love to hear that someone has actually done this successfully.

2. Does BLIS on tow mirrors monitor the trailer as well as the truck?
    Assuming I set it up correctly, of course.

3. Can the factory Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover be completely removed easily?

4. How common is the problem of the bed cover flying off due to malfunctioning plastic clips?
    I've read a few accounts of it on this forum, but I'm not sure how common it is.
Thanks for any insight you can offer!

Welcome aboard!

1. No, it cannot, from what I read.

2. It supposedly can, although I have not tested it myself. From the RAM website...
1618581374919.png

3. Yes. It is a bit awkward unless you climb into the bed, but four latches and its out (or in).

4. Not common at all. The few times I've read about it, I'm thinking someone forgot to engage the latch. The rear latches are less concerning; the front latches, if not engaged, would probably cause it to go flying. If you've ever tried to haul a large mattress, you know what I mean; at the front of the bed, air tries to get underneath objects.

db252

Reaction score
1. Without some serious trickery or the pre wired camera package most likely not. I know it depends on what you're trailering in this case but in my situation towing a car trailer, the digital mirror in the tech package has a much better view since the camera is mounted at the third brake light which is top of cab height giving a better rear view than I thought. If towing a camp trailer not so much I’m sure.

2. As soon as I start towing with the trailer, BLIS picks it up and sets it at 30 feet per the dash and it works perfectly.

3. Cover is super easy to install and remove with just one person. You can have it completely folded to the rear window and it has straps built in to keep it down for driving full time if that works for you also.

4. At one time I found one of our locks just hanging down and not latched (it was before at some point). I found that after latching, the release portion can stick a little bit in the handle which now I check by physically spreading them apart to make sure they are in the correct position and there has never been a repeat of that incident. Even then, there was no indication of the cover moving at all regardless of speed.

Users who are viewing this thread