5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Re-joining the Mopar family

MxRacer965

Reaction score
Hello All,

Just picked up a CPO 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn yesterday and of course I’m already looking to change some things up, so here I am!

My first Ram, but I owned a Grand Cherokee Summit 5.7 for almost 10 years before moving on to a 2019 Expedition Max Platinum as my DD. My parents own the Jeep now though so it’s still in the family!

My Ram will be our spare vehicle, and I’ll use it to commute and park at the airport, drive from West MI to company offices in Wisconsin from time to time, haul my dirt bikes and family to the track and back, and whatever truck tasks that come up. I honestly didn’t see myself getting something this new, being a 3rd vehicle I certainly didn’t need this, but decent used trucks for a reasonable price are impossible to find. This truck is replacing a 2002 F150 XLT Supercab I’ve owned for 11 years that just isn’t big enough for the family plus 2 dogs, and is starting to get some rust. I paid $8,800 for that truck with 88K on it back then. So a year ago I started looking for trucks...started at $15K looking for 100K mile or less F150 Supercrew, 6.5’ bed, 4x4. Salvage vehicles and rotten junk. Ok...$20K. Nothing I’d want to spend $20K on. $25K. Same...rust filled Canadian junk with questionable mileage. Got to the point where I was considering new but I couldn’t justify the sub $50K prices I was seeing even though they were advertised for just over $40. Saw this truck pop up 2 days ago and bought it yesterday.

So here I am! Now I’m looking to do a spray in bed liner first, this truck didn’t have a liner at all for some reason, and the bed was definitely used...so rather than throw a plastic liner down and potentially have the exposed metal in some spots rust I figured I would do spray in. Rhino line? Line X? Other? What do you all recommend? What‘s a reasonable price for the 6’4” bed?

Next up is the steering wheel. Truck is a littler higher mileage than I wanted at 45K but considering the market the price was reasonable. The steering wheel looks like it has 150K on it though...super shiny leather, heavy wear in a couple spots...just a disappointment to touch and look at. I’d like to replace it. I don’t need a Limited, Laramie, etc wheel...just another Big Horn with heat would be fine. Looking on a few parts websites seems like just the wheel is a touch over $100. Is that right? I know I’d have to swap over all the controls...easy to do? Any how-to’s out there I can reference and do it myself?

Next up on the list might be LED headlamps. I have them on my Expedition and have had Xenon lamps on all our DD’s for the last 10+ years so I really want nice lighting. I see infotainment.com has factory conversion kits for $1,600. Anyone use these? Any feedback positive or negative? I’ll have to really give it some thought though if I really want to spend on that...

Anyway, looking forward to poking around, asking some questions, and contributing where I can.

Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread