5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Re-engineered the 2019 during production?

homedad

Reaction score
I'm currently looking to buy a 2019 Laramie. After realizing that I'm going to pay way more than I thought for everything I want I decided to look for a used 2019. My neighbor, who's an auto supplier engineer and a truck nut, said "don't buy used because Chrysler changed some structural things in the early production models for crash safety which haven't been tested". He told me to only buy the units manufactured later in 2018. I've searched and can't find anything about this. I'm still looking used but still wondering. He's the one who actually turned me on to the Laramie so I don't believe it has anything to do with shaming. Anyone know anything about this?

79 300

Reaction score
I do know some features and options were changed as time went by. Early trucks didn't always have the front and rear power outlets, but now they do.

homedad

Reaction score
Maybe he was referring to the cab mounts. Thanks for the replies.

cruz-in

Reaction score
Yes the IIHS Crash test repoort is careful to point out it only applies to trucks made after a certain month. Be sure to check it out.

Having one made after this month was an absolute requirement for us.

tazer006

Reaction score
Yes the IIHS Crash test repoort is careful to point out it only applies to trucks made after a certain month. Be sure to check it out.

I am curious if the TSB regarding clunking cab mounts which the fix includes replacing all cab mounts, would bring the older 2019s into compliance with the iihs reviewed trucks, the iihs website specifically mentions stiffer cab mounts was the difference on the test

Lonestar21

Reaction score
I would think twice at least for now if your buying used. In the different forums I’m part of people are getting rid of their new trucks because of issues. So I would assume that at least half of the new model trucks on the used market might have or had some sort of issue since they are still some what too new for them to want to get rid of them.

And with some of the rebates available and researching dealerships you can get a good deal out there to buy new

Good luck

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Usually you wont save much if any on a used truck that is less then a year old. The rebates and incentives on new trucks are so good usually at least 10-12K off that it makes it hard to find a used almost new truck for less.

yellowboy

Reaction score
Yes agree, I always skeptical of a slightly used vehicle, especially a new model. Could indicate it had issues that the original owner got tired of dealing with or maybe were never fixed right. Spend the little extra for allot of peace of mind.

Duane

Reaction score
Yes agree, I always skeptical of a slightly used vehicle, especially a new model. Could indicate it had issues that the original owner got tired of dealing with or maybe were never fixed right. Spend the little extra for allot of peace of mind.

FYI: IIHS informed me in writing recently that the revised rear cab mounts were incorporated on the production line on July 06.
It was just simpler for them to say “vehicles built after July” in the press release.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
FYI: IIHS informed me in writing recently that the revised rear cab mounts were incorporated on the production line on July 06. It was just simpler for them to say “vehicles built after July” in the press release.
This is nice reassurance for me (August build date).

PTRAM

Reaction score

Too bad I didn't come back to this forum before I purchased mine (signature has details) and I didn't even look at the build date which I almost always do. I just bought it on Dec. 11, 2018 and then I finally looked at the build date and it was built 5-12-2018. I probably would not have purchased it if I had looked at the build date---only had 8 miles on it so I assumed it was recently built. You all know that when you "***-ume" that it shows your (mine in this case) intelligence. I did see the IIHS Crash that gave it to Rams built later than mine was built. It did say the lights rating applied to all Rams but the rest only applied to Crew Cab and they had not done a test on the Quad Cab, but I would be surprised if it mades any difference.

rlc2020

Reaction score
hmmm, mine has a build date of april 2018 - was the dealer managers demo vehicle for the first 1900 miles before I bought it. I wish I had seen this thread as well. My fault for not properly researching before I pulled the trigger. Is there any "fix" for this that I can request to have done or am I stuck with a sub par truck at this point?

irontaylor08

Reaction score
Where can I go to find out when exactly a truck was made? I tried doing a VIN decoder but that did not show when it was produced.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not convinced to what extent the pre-July trucks can be called "sub-par".

FCA did not need to make a public statement about the mounts. It's not as if trucks were tested and failed, that is NOT the case. FCA simply decided to improve the mounts before IIHS testing and we have no idea whether it would have passed just the same without this change.

If this were truly a problem, I wonder if FCA would have kept it quieter..

cruz-in

Reaction score
"If this were truly a problem, I wonder if FCA would have kept it quieter.. "

Was not FCA that announced it. IIHS did. Here is a quote from the report;

"The Ram 1500 Crew Cab was redesigned for the 2019 model year. Beginning with 2019 models built after July 2018, the cab mounts to the vehicle frame at the C-pillars were strengthened to improve occupant protection in small overlap frontal crashes. "

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"If this were truly a problem, I wonder if FCA would have kept it quieter.. "

Was not FCA that announced it. IIHS did. Here is a quote from the report;

"The Ram 1500 Crew Cab was redesigned for the 2019 model year. Beginning with 2019 models built after July 2018, the cab mounts to the vehicle frame at the C-pillars were strengthened to improve occupant protection in small overlap frontal crashes. "

Who do you think told IIHS? I'm gonna guess FCA.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread