5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RCI Metalworks Skid Plates: Engine, Tranny (and cat shield), T-Case Overview, Install, and Review

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you both. Looking forward to hearing your report after your trip to Arizona. Safe travels.
just came back. 1000 miles round trip including ~160 miles of dirt (140 miles of high speed and 20 miles of bumpy)
on highway going long down hill with no throttle input coolant tempt goes down to ~180-190 ish and engine oil goes down to ~200 ish
regular throttle input highway driving gives about ~210 coolant and 210 engine oil
slow 4L action both goes up to ~220F

all within parameter. I run 0-40 oil so engine oil part may be different for you

lsupcar

Reaction score
just came back. 1000 miles round trip including ~160 miles of dirt (140 miles of high speed and 20 miles of bumpy)
on highway going long down hill with no throttle input coolant tempt goes down to ~180-190 ish and engine oil goes down to ~200 ish
regular throttle input highway driving gives about ~210 coolant and 210 engine oil
slow 4L action both goes up to ~220F

all within parameter. I run 0-40 oil so engine oil part may be different for you
Thank you.

lsupcar

Reaction score
Installed the skid plates this weekend.. Some before and after pics. The pass through socket wrench was helpful to tighten the bolts inside the front frame member. Instructions were not the best in regards to the clips but got it figured out. Will see how it goes when I need to change the oil. Thanks for all the advice. No photos. Files to big. Will see what I can do.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Installed the skid plates this weekend.. Some before and after pics. The pass through socket wrench was helpful to tighten the bolts inside the front frame member. Instructions were not the best in regards to the clips but got it figured out. Will see how it goes when I need to change the oil. Thanks for all the advice. No photos. Files to big. Will see what I can do.
any time!
make sure you tight them bolts lol

i forgot to tight them after I remove them to swap bumper light brackets and after a trip of ~1000 miles with 120 miles of high speed offroad and 20 miles of bumpy offroad, I lost 1 bolt somewhere in the desert and the rest were hanging by the threads. yeap that was on me, but at the same time, im impressed that I managed to only lose 1 bolt with all that driving lol

W Six

Reaction score
@Isupcar, nice looking.
I had installed some of their products on the Tundra I had. Great quality.
Does that gear wrench have different size inserts that swap on the racist handle?

lsupcar

Reaction score
This is the kit I have. It has metric and sae. And pass through extensions. I don't use it often, but sometimes it is just the thing you need. In this application it was much easier to keep ahold of the nut with this than a geared boxend wrench.
Both the stock front diff and rear transfer case skid plates need to be removed if you install the complete skid plate package as I did.
C69C2337-8BC0-438D-AA16-40D3E24FE043_1_102_o.jpeg 5BEB0C6B-9B84-4E48-9879-4DA5B2407C3B_1_102_o.jpeg

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Isupcar, nice looking.
I had installed some of their products on the Tundra I had. Great quality.
Does that gear wrench have different size inserts that swap on the racist handle?
the racist handle? which one is it LOL

Users who are viewing this thread