5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RC Cars/Trucks

sylent_snyper

Reaction score
Anyone here into the RC world? I recently picked up a Traxxas Slash VXL 4x4 on an impulse buy. I'm new to the RC stuff in general. I just sorted out an issue with the slipper clutch and I'm now trying to calm down a high speed wobble when on pavement. Any tips on setup I should look at? Any additional info you need, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a few RC trucks, mostly Traxxas. One is the Slash VXL 4x4. I've pretty much kept mine on the dirt track I built in my back yard, so I can't speak for setting it up for pavement. Is your Slash new, or did you buy it used? If it's used you could have an issue with worn suspension parts. If it's new you might check the front and rear camber adjustments. What is your front toe adjustment? Which rear carriers are you using? I think mine came stock with 3 degrees of rear toe built in, which is great for off-road. Not sure you'd want that for pavement. You should be able to find recommended adjustments online based on your racing surface.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Traxxis T-Maxx. My wife got it for my birthday maybe 10 or 12 years ago. All my R/C buddies moved away or on to other hobbies, so it's been hanging in the garage for several years.

Got it out last summer. Seems to be running rich and burning through plugs. Hung it back up. Had been thinking about tuning it up to sell and buy an electric crawler.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't have any pics specifically of my RC trucks, but you can see three Traxxas Rustlers on my benches in this pic...

Side view.jpg

ws6guy

Reaction score
Picked up my son a 4x4 slash for xmas. We plan on doing some dirt track races this summer. For now he's been bashing it around the yard. Some how he just broke a front drive shaft and bent the shock. So I need to head back to the RC shop to buy some parts or find a good online store. Also the spare battery I bought quit taking a charge, not sure if batteries have any kind of warranty.

I hope he ends up liking the racing so I have an excuse to get one as well.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is the last one i owned. Got it at radio shack in the 90's

View attachment 157336
Did you ever have one of these bad boys? Tether cars and planes. timeli16.jpg

This thing could annoy the neighborhood with the loud *** little open header motor, cut a finger off with the open prop, put a burn scar on you that would last a year, start a yard fire with a fuel spill and so much more!

If you had an airplane you could kill your buddy if he was not paying attention. Terrorize him if he was. For God's sake, don't let go of the string!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Did you ever have one of these bad boys? Tether cars and planes. View attachment 157351

This thing could annoy the neighborhood with the loud *** little open header motor, cut a finger off with the open prop, put a burn scar on you that would last a year, start a yard fire with a fuel spill and so much more!

If you had an airplane you could kill your buddy if he was not paying attention. Terrorize him if he was. For God's sake, don't let go of the string!
I had a control line airplane. It was fun but it made me dizzy after a while LOL. Graduated to RC planes after that. I still have a few of those too.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Anyone here into the RC world? I recently picked up a Traxxas Slash VXL 4x4 on an impulse buy. I'm new to the RC stuff in general. I just sorted out an issue with the slipper clutch and I'm now trying to calm down a high speed wobble when on pavement. Any tips on setup I should look at? Any additional info you need, please let me know. Thanks in advance!
I have a Slash Platinum and a Losi MT (discontinued a few years ago), both with too much money dumped into upgrades. I'm thinking the high speed wobble might be from too much stability control(TSM)

Edit: Another possibility is water in the tires if you've ever used it in the rain. I poke a couple holes in the tread 180 degrees from each other so the water flings out

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Did you ever have one of these bad boys? Tether cars and planes. View attachment 157351

No sir. But I really did have that car from radio shack. It was white. It also ate 9 c batteries in 20 minutes!

Dewey

Reaction score
My FIL bought my son (who is 6...) one of those fancy racing RC cars. Does like 30-40mph. As one would expect, it gets about 5-10 minutes of use every few months before he wrecks it at full speed and needs new parts...
When I was a kid in the 70’s I had these. Much cheaper and more fun to destroy.😆

TittoPollito

Reaction score
My son and I have a couple Traxxas slash 2WD trucks, both with Castle brushless motors. I have an original TA RC10 that I got for my 9th/10th birthday (I just turned 45), I just ordered all the stuff to upgrade it to a Flash Hobby brushless motor. I also have an all original Kyosho Optima mid and a TA NTC3 (or at least what once was an NTC3 it has a NOVAROSSI 2.5 supercharged engine....I need to dig it out I dont think I have looked at it since my kid was born 16 years ago

sylent_snyper

Reaction score
I have a few RC trucks, mostly Traxxas. One is the Slash VXL 4x4. I've pretty much kept mine on the dirt track I built in my back yard, so I can't speak for setting it up for pavement. Is your Slash new, or did you buy it used? If it's used you could have an issue with worn suspension parts. If it's new you might check the front and rear camber adjustments. What is your front toe adjustment? Which rear carriers are you using? I think mine came stock with 3 degrees of rear toe built in, which is great for off-road. Not sure you'd want that for pavement. You should be able to find recommended adjustments online based on your racing surface.
Purchased new about 6 months or so ago. Other than replacing the rear suspension I bent on the second rip up the street, it's stock. I'll have to do some poking around and see what adjustments might be needed then.
I have a Slash Platinum and a Losi MT (discontinued a few years ago), both with too much money dumped into upgrades. I'm thinking the high speed wobble might be from too much stability control(TSM)

Edit: Another possibility is water in the tires if you've ever used it in the rain. I poke a couple holes in the tread 180 degrees from each other so the water flings out
I didn't think about messing with the TSM knob. I'll give that a whirl. No water in the tires for sure.

Scram1500

Reaction score
20230426_182346.jpg 20230426_182506.jpg

Top is the Slash, bottom is the Losi. Both bodies are from Proline. I have a new shell for the Slash that I've been trying to paint for some time now. The one on the truck has been hacked to fit monster truck tires at one point.

20230426_182123~3.jpg

Insanity

Reaction score
I have spent way too much money on RC cars. I still mess with them but not like I used to. At one time just on the shelves of my barracks room I pointed out 8000 in cars then over 2000 in parts batteries and stuff to run them. The guy was like wait that's like 10k... I replied that is what you can see.

Currently I am running a traxxas revo 3.3 got shiggles and gits.

Cab2344

Reaction score
You probably need to adjust toe. Here is a link that explains toe and camber

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Every now and then I’ll run a few tanks of nitro 30 through the old LST. Dang thinking about it, I’ve had the thing for 20 years. Going to have to get some fresh batteries for the controller this week end.

Attachments

• IMG_9522.jpeg
    IMG_9522.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9524.jpeg
    IMG_9524.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/