5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rc 3.5 vs bilstein 6112/5160 help

GermanDreams

Reaction score
I had my mind set on buying the bilstein 6112/5160 setup with icon springs and UCAs once my oem tires needed to be replaced. For the last few months I've been waiting for the bilstein's to come back into stock but nothing! I have a few thousand miles left on my tires and I'm getting worried.
I have never thought about putting RC stuff on this truck but I keep reading good things. Which option would you guys do.

1) wait for the 6112/5160 to get back in stock and possibly have to order oem tires instead of the icon rims and 35s I want.

2) order RC 3.5 with v2 shocks, icon springs, icon or RC UCAs with icon rims and 35s.

The RC option seems to be a money saver, just worried I might be missing out on a better setup.

Cbzr1107

Reaction score
Following as I'm trying to read all I can on the different combinations people are using.

doolin64

Reaction score
For #2 are you talking the RC loaded struts or just the top hat and preload spacers? The Bilsteins are a fantastic product. I've run 5100s before. They were a stiffer ride but still great. If you're doing any offraloadong or high speed dirt running go with those. I'm a street queen. I went with the RC struts and I'm thrilled with the ride. I haven't added tires yet. Those go on Friday and I'm sure they'll stiffen the ride and change the feel of the truck and degrade the ride comfort some. Struts alone and N2 shocks out back with a 2 inch rear spacer is what I'm running and for the price it's fantastic.

GermanDreams

Reaction score
For #2 are you talking the RC loaded struts or just the top hat and preload spacers? The Bilsteins are a fantastic product. I've run 5100s before. They were a stiffer ride but still great. If you're doing any offraloadong or high speed dirt running go with those. I'm a street queen. I went with the RC struts and I'm thrilled with the ride. I haven't added tires yet. Those go on Friday and I'm sure they'll stiffen the ride and change the feel of the truck and degrade the ride comfort some. Struts alone and N2 shocks out back with a 2 inch rear spacer is what I'm running and for the price it's fantastic.
I was looking at the loaded struts. I know the bilstein are great I've had them on other vehicles. Just worried my tires will need to be replaced before they come back into stock.
As for offroading, anything I will be doing will be extremely minimal. My truck has only gone into 4x4 3x since 2019 and that was only to test it and at the boat ramp lol. This truck is my daily but I like the idea of having decent struts incase I need them. Have you taken the RC setup off-road? If so how did they do?

SurfRebel20

Reaction score
There are plenty of 6112s available currently and you can order 2 of the left 5160s. Only the 5160 rights are out of stock and the only difference between the left and right is the lettering on the reservoir brackets. I recently installed that setup and love it. The wheels and tires block the view of the reservoir brackets anyways you'll never see them.

Cbzr1107

Reaction score
Are the RC struts really a 2.5in strut with a 1in spacer already installed? I was reading on another forum and a few posts made it seem that way. I would assume you could add a spacer to the Bilsteins to make up the difference.

doolin64

Reaction score
I was looking at the loaded struts. I know the bilstein are great I've had them on other vehicles. Just worried my tires will need to be replaced before they come back into stock.
As for offroading, anything I will be doing will be extremely minimal. My truck has only gone into 4x4 3x since 2019 and that was only to test it and at the boat ramp lol. This truck is my daily but I like the idea of having decent struts incase I need them. Have you taken the RC setup off-road? If so how did they do?
I just had them installed on Saturday. Nothing offroad yet. Likely won't ever have much more than bumpy dirtroad ever. I have a dirtbike and 4 wheeler for offroading. After 200 miles of street driving, including some rough pavement, I've go no complaints.
Don't the 3.5in struts say you need to have the 3.5in lift installed?

Yes. You will need control arms up front for any lift over 2.5" really. If you go 3.5" up front you better lift the rear. By then, you're at the full lift install.

Cbzr1107

Reaction score
Oh ok. Gotcha. UCAs were something I was going to replace even with 2in added up front. They didn't say much on their website so I assumed their struts were like others but thought I'd ask just to be sure.

GermanDreams

Reaction score
There are plenty of 6112s available currently and you can order 2 of the left 5160s. Only the 5160 rights are out of stock and the only difference between the left and right is the lettering on the reservoir brackets. I recently installed that setup and love it. The wheels and tires block the view of the reservoir brackets anyways you'll never see them.
There are plenty of 6112s in stock but I have yet to find any 5160s. Where have you seen 5160 lefts?

GermanDreams

Reaction score
I just had them installed on Saturday. Nothing offroad yet. Likely won't ever have much more than bumpy dirtroad ever. I have a dirtbike and 4 wheeler for offroading. After 200 miles of street driving, including some rough pavement, I've go no complaints.

Yes. You will need control arms up front for any lift over 2.5" really. If you go 3.5" up front you better lift the rear. By then, you're at the full lift install.
Yeah I get what your saying. My truck will never be an "off-road" vehicle but it will see the occasional dirt road. I have other toys to beat up in the desert lol.

If I can't find the bilstein's I might just go this route.

Cbzr1107

Reaction score
SurfRebel,

With the 6110s and the 1/2in spacer, how are your brake lines? Any issues there? Is the 1/2in Motofab spacer your using a top hat spacer?

SurfRebel20

Reaction score
SurfRebel,

With the 6110s and the 1/2in spacer, how are your brake lines? Any issues there? Is the 1/2in Motofab spacer your using a top hat spacer?
No issues at all. The 6112s come with a brake line relocator bracket there's plenty of slack. The 1/2in spacer is a top hat style it just sits on top of the assembly im really glad i added the extra half inch i think it makes a big difference in appearance

richft18

Reaction score
With the 3.5 SST setup how is everyones alignment coming out to be. Is there the common Caster issue like most other vehicles with lifts and does camber actually going into spec with the UCAs?

GermanDreams

Reaction score
There is tons of good info in this thread. Thank you everyone!

Shock wise, is the bilstein setup worth the increase in cost? The bilstein's have bigger shock bodies and the rears have the remote reservoirs but what else would be different? I honestly don't know much about the RC and just curious.

doolin64

Reaction score
My guess...Bilstein will last longer. That's just a subjective guess. I have no idea how long the R/C struts will last. 10k, 20k, 30k, 40k miles? As long as I can get 25k out of the struts I'll be happy. My Bilsteins started to ride rougher after around 40k miles. Chances are I won't have the truck past 50k miles anyhow.

75Jimmy

Reaction score
What did the OP end up doing? I did the 6112s on setting 8 up front with motofab .5” spacer up front (like @SurfRebel20 ), Icon delta joint UCAs, 5160s with 1” motofab spacer + Rebel springs in the rear, 18” Icon Rebound wheels, 35” BFG KO2s. Everything feels perfect. Only minor trimming required. CV angles look great too! AA88FE4D-74A8-423E-9DD3-EBE00FA61714.jpeg
976156F4-2FCA-41A8-9F8E-16B0E9E1C79C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread