5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rattle sound when heavy bass music on

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I was concerned about rattles from the back of the truck when I got 2 subs put in, but I had them put Focal Bam XL across the back wall behind the rear seats, and no rattles at all......key word "yet."
The problem with factory systems is that all the speakers are attached to the body panels that has a lot of components that can rattle. When you install a sub box you take these movements away from the body panels. Problem solved. Lol

Krootz

Reaction score
Yes, and I agree with the sub box approach. My issue is the bass itself it making my dome light rattle against the roof. If I sit in the back and push the dome light against the roof, it goes away.
♂️

Jaketoko14

Reaction score
I have a rattle when I turn up the bass, but it’s my dome light in the headliner. I thought for sure it was the rear sliding window. Honestly don’t know if the dealership would even mess with it. Really bums me out when I want to jam and I got this damn rattling.
I have the same issue. Let me know if you take it to the dealership and what they say.

Krootz

Reaction score
I have the same issue. Let me know if you take it to the dealership and what they say.
Honestly, I don’t think the dealership (my dealership anyway) will do anything about it. Dropping the rear portion of the headliner seems easy enough for me to slap some dynomat up there. I’ve recently heard the doors start rattling as well with about 7k miles on it, so that’s gonna be next for the dynomat.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
Don't trust a dealer to fix the rattles :( They'll just tighten something here and there instead of addressing the issue which is average planning for audiophiles. They don't play music when they design the layout, they rely on computer models programmed by someone who isn't passionate about music.

To truly solve the problem you'll need a good audio shop and competent techs.

Krootz

Reaction score
I thought about taking it in, then I remember all the issues that I find after a dealership does anything to my vehicles. Stripped bolts holding my skid plate from oil changes, mismatched paint from collision repair, fixing one issue half-assed and causing another, and the list goes on.
The dealership probably won’t care enough to fix it right (if at all). Either way I’d feel more comfortable putting my truck in the garage and spending a weekend getting the dynomat in there right. Might even do the rear window with some foam strip or speaker wire like I’ve seen posted.
As good as the alpine stereo is, it’s a shame all you hear are the rattles when you crank it up.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
its worth the couple hours it takes to chase down the little vibrations. I eliminated mine right after purchase and have had 37000 miles of relative quiet. Mine is a relaxing space to be in. I can crank my volume on every genre of music. Biggest offenders were 1. sunroof velcro clips, fixed with rubber padding between clip and headliner side, 2. a module under rear seat near middle floor, fixed with double sided foam tape, 3. rear slider, fixed with application of the fuzzy side of velcro tape placed between the glass and frame on each upper corner of the glass, 4. added rubber between each mounting bolt of the subwoofer and the rear cab wall. Sounds like a lot to do, but only took a couple hours, and no tech crawled inside my truck to half a** the job and scratch up my interior. 2 years later, all remains quiet.

Krootz

Reaction score
its worth the couple hours it takes to chase down the little vibrations. I eliminated mine right after purchase and have had 37000 miles of relative quiet. Mine is a relaxing space to be in. I can crank my volume on every genre of music. Biggest offenders were 1. sunroof velcro clips, fixed with rubber padding between clip and headliner side, 2. a module under rear seat near middle floor, fixed with double sided foam tape, 3. rear slider, fixed with application of the fuzzy side of velcro tape placed between the glass and frame on each upper corner of the glass, 4. added rubber between each mounting bolt of the subwoofer and the rear cab wall. Sounds like a lot to do, but only took a couple hours, and no tech crawled inside my truck to half a** the job and scratch up my interior. 2 years later, all remains quiet.
That’s awesome! Thanks for the heads up on the module and housing against the rear panel, that’s gonna be the first things I do before adding the dynomat. Might save me some rattle-hunting in the future.

Krootz

Reaction score
Just ran across this TSB and I think this perfectly describes what I hear. Rattling metal from the support bows in the headliner. Maybe it will help someone out that has the same issue as me.

Attachments

• MC-10174160-9999.pdf
    52.3 KB · Views: 56

1500V8

Reaction score
Hold your eyeglass holder door to see if it stops.
I know on mine the bass vibrates through the upper console making the eyeglass holder door rattle.
I have the same issue with music and the sun glass holder. It was so annoying that I stopped putting my glasses in it!!

Users who are viewing this thread