5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rattle sound when heavy bass music on

BigD

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed a rattle in their door pillar or headliner area when rap music is playing ? If a song comes on the radio with that low, long bass sound, I hear a rattle above the rear passenger door near the roof. I can't pin point exactly where it's coming from because I'm driving. I only notice it when songs like "Heartless" by The Weekend come on the radio. No problems with rock, country, or heavy metal music. Only certain rap songs, with certain bass tones. I just have the basic 6 speaker stereo. Would really like to know if anyone else has had this problem?

BamsRam

Reaction score
I have this same issue. I took the door panel off yesterday. And I believe it’s the two nuts that are in the internal door panel that secure the two bolts that hold on to the exterior or final door panel ( the door panel that you see). They rattle pretty bad even with the bolts in them. I tried to take the panel off but it’s what holds the window track in place and the 4 screws that hold it in are very hard to remove and even harder to put back. I learned the hard way. I’m going to try to put some silicone around the outside area of the nut to hopefully create some sort of damper. I have video I could show of the problem but I don’t know how to attach a video to this forum. Is there a way to do that?

sparkygreen

Reaction score
I have this same issue. I took the door panel off yesterday. And I believe it’s the two nuts that are in the internal door panel that secure the two bolts that hold on to the exterior or final door panel ( the door panel that you see). They rattle pretty bad even with the bolts in them. I tried to take the panel off but it’s what holds the window track in place and the 4 screws that hold it in are very hard to remove and even harder to put back. I learned the hard way. I’m going to try to put some silicone around the outside area of the nut to hopefully create some sort of damper. I have video I could show of the problem but I don’t know how to attach a video to this forum. Is there a way to do that?

Upload to youtube or Dailymotion and paste link here.

Im curious to see where you think the rattle is coming from in the rear door. Ive recently removed rear door and inner panel so Im somewhat familiar with the setup, but I don't completely understand what you are referring to. Video would be great.

I find the phantom rattle mostly comes from rear window slider or something in the pano-roof cover/rear headliner area. rear window slider is well documented here if its loose it rattles. Some are loose, some are tighter.

Thanks!

rnoggle

Reaction score
I took my door panels off today to install new speakers and 2 extra clips that hold the panel on fell out of the passenger side front door. these were extras that were just laying inside the panel.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Hold your eyeglass holder door to see if it stops.
I know on mine the bass vibrates through the upper console making the eyeglass holder door rattle.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed a rattle in their door pillar or headliner area when rap music is playing ? If a song comes on the radio with that low, long bass sound, I hear a rattle above the rear passenger door near the roof. I can't pin point exactly where it's coming from because I'm driving. I only notice it when songs like "Heartless" by The Weekend come on the radio. No problems with rock, country, or heavy metal music. Only certain rap songs, with certain bass tones. I just have the basic 6 speaker stereo. Would really like to know if anyone else has had this problem?
I have the upgraded 19 speaker system and mine has all kinds of rattles and crackling about half the songs.

BigD

Reaction score

Im curious to see where you think the rattle is coming from in the rear door. Ive recently removed rear door and inner panel so Im somewhat familiar with the setup, but I don't completely understand what you are referring to. Video would be great.

I find the phantom rattle mostly comes from rear window slider or something in the pano-roof cover/rear headliner area. rear window slider is well documented here if its loose it rattles. Some are loose, some are tighter.

Thanks!
Mine seems to be in the roof headliner area. Because it makes the noise whether my slider window is open or closed. So it can't be my slider window then.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
I remember reading a post on here awhile back, where someone had a rattle above the rear passenger headliner. Turned out it was a wire harness connector that was not secured to the inner roof structure with the Christmas tree connector. He had to pull the headliner down from the sunroof opening and reach in to secure it; rattle was eliminated. Pictures were posted also. Maybe that's what's causing your rattle.

BamsRam

Reaction score

Thanks!
How did you remove the inner panel completely? I tried taking the inner panel off and it’s connected to the window tracks so I just put it back after I saw it was connected to the window track.

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
Mine came from the sliding back glass. There are some threads on here about it. I fixed mine with a piece of wire I had laying around.

Firepower2010

Reaction score
Yes, but dealer has said it's "normal"... BS

LamboMitch

Reaction score
yep mine does it to and its coming from the rear sliding window. i put some sound deadening material and it helped but still working on it. you'll notice it go away once you open the window all the way.

BigD

Reaction score
yep mine does it to and its coming from the rear sliding window. i put some sound deadening material and it helped but still working on it. you'll notice it go away once you open the window all the way.
I hear it no matter if the window is wide open or closed. Wonder if it's coming from the roof area ? Either way it's not a deal breaker. Only complaint I have after 2 months & 1,800 miles. Otherwise the truck is perfect.

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
If you search the forum, there is a fix for this. I used a short piece of wire to fix this. Haven't had a problem since.

Krootz

Reaction score
I have a rattle when I turn up the bass, but it’s my dome light in the headliner. I thought for sure it was the rear sliding window. Honestly don’t know if the dealership would even mess with it. Really bums me out when I want to jam and I got this damn rattling.

Ram19Va

Reaction score
I was concerned about rattles from the back of the truck when I got 2 subs put in, but I had them put Focal Bam XL across the back wall behind the rear seats, and no rattles at all......key word "yet."

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/