5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rattle issues

n9ne4

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else has had this issue, when the cylinder deactivation kicks in and shakes everything like hell, there is something in the interior that rattles like a MF. Any ideas on tracking it down? Have been trying for a month with no luck. Thinking it may be the dome light near the rear seats but cannot pinpoint it exactly. Also, would this be covered under warranty....

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else has had this issue, when the cylinder deactivation kicks in and shakes everything like hell, there is something in the interior that rattles like a MF. Any ideas on tracking it down? Have been trying for a month with no luck. Thinking it may be the dome light near the rear seats but cannot pinpoint it exactly. Also, would this be covered under warranty....
if you are getting a shaking when the deactivation starts I would take the truck back to the dealer.
the only thing I get when I let deactivation start is a drone from the exhaust.

n9ne4

Reaction score
if you are getting a shaking when the deactivation starts I would take the truck back to the dealer.
the only thing I get when I let deactivation start is a drone from the exhaust.
Probably the best idea huh. Thank you!

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t know if his problem is ANC but it does seem to cause some weirdness sound wise. I don’t think the got things quite right all the time. 😂

Solracer

Reaction score
Yeah, nothing should shake. My autostart/stop (which is different than MDS. MDS is cuts out 4 cylinders while driving. AS/S turns engine off as you are coming to a stop) is smooth as butter.

n9ne4

Reaction score
Yeah, nothing should shake. My autostart/stop (which is different than MDS. MDS is cuts out 4 cylinders while driving. AS/S turns engine off as you are coming to a stop) is smooth as butter.
After thinking it through, what likely is going on is ANC kicking in with some sort of speaker issue causing it to rattle at whatever frequency it is trying to cancel out.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm told that if you crack a window ANC turns off. Maybe try driving with a window slightly cracked and see if it still happens.

n9ne4

Reaction score
I'm told that if you crack a window ANC turns off. Maybe try driving with a window slightly cracked and see if it still happens.
Either driving in tow haul or manual gear lockout on 8 keeps the MDS and thus the ANC issue at bay for me. Will take it in once I can be without a vehicle for a couple days though.

n9ne4

Reaction score
Well, went in and there was one star case on it, was not the ANC directly but an antivibration system for MDS that counteracts it. Getting new parts installed within the month!

Users who are viewing this thread