5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rate/Help with build before I place my order

jtwolf22

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been researching trucks for almost 6 months now and have landed on the Ram 1500. This will be my first truck ever, and my second vehicle purchase ever.

I'd really appreciate any feedback/holes/criticism you can see in the build I have put together. I will be doing a factory order from Dave Smith in Idaho.

I plan to keep the vehicle for 15+ years. It will be my daily driver (I have a literal 1 minute commute, although this could change over time), and I also am an avid outdoorsman so I do plan to eventually tow a boat which would weigh roughly 3-5,000 pounds, and go deep into the public forests for hunting, so it needs to be off road capable, but I will not be doing any sort of rock climbing or dune running.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated. All comments welcome.

Thank you!

Jesse W

TPA-RAM

Reaction score
Great choice. My 21 Ram is my second truck My first was a 2018 f150. I’m so happy with the switch!! Everything Amy the Ram is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apettit13

Reaction score
That looks like a pretty solid build for everything you’re looking to accomplish. I would say my only concern (not a real concern) is the bumper color. Seen a lot of people that end up not liking the chrome bumpers and try to vinyl wrap them. It’s only an extra couple hundred bucks to have the bumpers body matched. That’s just a personal preference obviously though. Looks like a good build, welcome to the forum!

TPA-RAM

Reaction score
Good call. I have the sport package, which matches all fenders and bumpers to body color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LMorris

Reaction score
I can't tell if I'm looking at your build correctly but I'd encourage an anti-spin diff, a 33 gallon tank, and the 3.92 diff. If you're planning on keeping it a long time, the chrome bumpers, etc. hold up better in regard to bugs, chips. Good luck

ClinchMountainRam

Reaction score
I debated my build for quite a while too. As previously mentioned, the body colored bumpers are pretty popular, but it's personal preference of course. Take a look at the North Edition- body colored bumpers, 1 inch factory lift, front tow hooks, Falken Wildpeaks, plus a few other things (and not an overly expensive package). See my signature for everything I went with. Good luck on your Ram journey.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mophead

Reaction score
I'd consider the off road pkg for the skid plates and locking rear and possibly the 33 gallon tank depending on how long and how far out you camp. Personally don't like the trailer package for cost and included items but if you will tow a modern trailer (with electric brakes) I'd highly recommend the trailer brake controller. The bed utility is a pretty good deal cost wise and one less thing to do after you get it. The sport package is definitely far better looking but I've seen quite a few posts on chipping for non chrome front ends. It can of course get chipped too. Protection film either way seems necessary. I'm foregoing the sport because on a Bighorn Sport you can only get a black interior.

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
Solid package for what you described! See you already added the ORD. I take the opposite approach on the bumpers, I think chrome will hold up better to rock chips. It's a 50/50 call on that one get it the way you think looks best. 3.92 and Etorque are a great combo for short in city trips, and later if you want larger tires you already have the gearing for them. Personally I would skip the trailer control group then add the trailer brake controller. If you can back up a trailer and don't need a camera on the back of the trailer that will save you about $600. Then consider the advanced safety group, adaptive cruise control is awesome in traffic. Great truck man congrats, if you order soon be sure the dealer locks in the 0% financing at the time of order.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I agree with ElkoNV on the advanced safety group. ACC is great, but so is the surround-view camera. And it can help you out in off-road situations as well as normal daily parking situations.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like a good truck for what you want. But if you hope to keep it 15 years, get the regular HEMI not eTorque. You can lose the trailer tow group and tow mirrors based on your projected future towing (maybe get just the trailer brake for $295). Take the savings from these three things and get the multifunction tailgate (unless you are putting a cap on, not sure how it works with those). Also get the engine block heater if you live where it gets cold, especially with all your short trips.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
I have etorque and don’t really know why it’s there honestly, and I see in your signature that you chose not to go with it. Good call in my opinion. Great build! Hope you go through with it and enjoy your new truck! Best of luck to you.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am also a long time owner (still have my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT, cloth). I find leather does not hold up as well as cloth in the long term.

Users who are viewing this thread